Fiocchi handgun ammo?

benny27

I was looking through my Cabela's catalog today and came across Fiocchi handgun ammo. I was thinking about buying some .40S&W's of it, any thoughts on this ammo as far as defense? I usually use Hornady custom ammo, and read where Fiocchi is built around basically the same bullet. How do they compare, Thanks.

pistolet1

benny27

I've used Fiocchi ammo in three different disciplines; pistol, rifle, and shotgun. Very satisfied; excellent quality and performance, and no problems with any of them.

CowTowner

I had a gunsmith recommend it for use in one of my Star 9mm Lugers. They load it a little on the hot side. I've been very happy shooting it in all my guns since then.

kayakersteve

good thing on positive reports because.....

According to tracking info, I will recieve my 500 rounds of 230 grain 45 acp tomorrow - I'll report back on it as it's the first time I've tried it.

JohnKSa

Administrator
Good stuff. I've had no problems with it and find it to be very accurate.

I'm skeptical of claims that they use Hornady bullets, however.

novaDAK

Fiocchi makes several types of ammo.

There is Fiocchi, who makes ammo in Italy, which from what I've bought, comes in the maroon/purple boxes.

There is Fiocchi USA, which are marked "Fiocchi Shooting Dynamics" which is made in the US, and sold in blue boxes.

There are two different types of "defense" ammo, there are plain Fiocchi hollow points,
And then Fiocchi USA also loads another line of self defense ammo using Hornady XTP bullets :)

In review, there are 4 types of Fiocchi handgun ammo:
1. Fiocchi made in Italy (purple boxes) FMJ
2. Fiocchi made in USA (blue boxes) FMJ
3. Fiocchi made in Italy (purple boxes) unknown JHP
4. Fiocchi made in USA (blue boxes) Hornady XTP JHP

I've shot both the Italian purple box and US blue boxes in 9mm, and the Italian purple box in .45acp.

All of it is great ammo IMO :)

All flavors of Fiocchi will be pretty nice. My Hi-Power dislikes their HP loadings, but my 9mm AR loves the stuff. Try it out and see how it runs for you.

Has anyone seen any Fiocchi 9x18mm around lately? That stuff is the greatest and I'm almost out.

BillCA

I was skeptical about some of their claimed velocities, like their 148-gr JHP @1500 fps. No more. A friend helped chrono those out of a 4" S&W Model 28 and his 6" Model 28 and it averaged 1492 from a 5-shot string in a 6" .357. That's pretty darn hot for that weight of a bullet.

The powder they use seems to burn fairly clean too. I've used their .32 Long, .38 Special, .357 and .45 ACP. All were acceptably accurate exept the .32 Long was exceptionally accurate.

Good stuff and usually a little cheaper than other ammo.

camsdaddy

I shoot their purple box in my keltec P32. I have not chrono'd it but they take the 32 ACP more serious than alot of us here and seem to load it pretty warm. I like it because I can find it in a local pawn shop for less than WWB @ Walmart.

kayakersteve

It shoots great!!!

I was quite pleased with feeding, and accuracy - Will Buy more.
600_GUNSIGTARGET.JPG

BillCA

Tugg,

Last time I reloaded Fiocchi brass was before 1999. But it was excellent brass then and I'd expect the same now.

gkent032

I use Fiocchi ammo all the time at the range. Very reliable, very accurate. I purchase it in bulk, best price, off the internet.

I don't use Fiocchi for defense. I would not necessarily have a problem using it. For defense I stick with:

Corbon
Corbon DPX
Remington Golden Saber
Winchester Ranger

I have shot these brands extensively and have great confidence using them for personal defense.