Fiocchi 9mm 115gr JHP in Clear Ballistics Gel

5pins

CMNJq6Al.jpg

Test Gun: Sig P229, Beretta Nano.
Barrel length: 3.9, 3 inches.
Ammunition: Fiocchi 115gr JHP
Test media: 10% Clear Ballistics Gel.
Distance: 10 feet.
Chronograph: Caldwell Ballistic Precision Chronograph G2.
Five shot velocity average: 1080, 1039fps
Gel Temperature 70 degrees.

The second installment in the 9mm budget series is the Fiocchi Pistol Shooting Dynamics 115gr JHP. The price was $13.99 for a 50 round box from Target Sports U.S.A. This bullet is not a Hornady XTP like Fiocchi's that come in the 25 round boxes and it's about half the cost. This load is also on the flashy side.

The Sig gave an average five-shot velocity of 1080fps with a high of 1094fps and a low of 1066fps.

XH3vlvOl.jpg

Ten yards off hand five shots with the Sig P229

In the Nano, I got an average velocity of 1039fps with a high of 1063fps and a low of 1030fps.

aHFqNnMl.jpg

Ten yards off hand five shots with the Beretta Nano

The first round in the bare gel, fired from the Sig P229, had a velocity of 1081fps. It penetrated to a depth of 18.5 inches with a recovered weight of 115.2 grains and a recovered diameter of .48 inches. The second round had a velocity of 1071fps and also penetrated to 18.5 inches. It expanded to .47 inches and came in at 115 grains.

3plv4Pbl.jpg

When shot through the gel covered with heavy clothing the first round penetrated 22 inches with a recovered weight of 114.9 grains and a diameter of .49 inches. No velocity reading was recorded. The second round hit the block at 1066fps and penetrated to 23 inches. The recovered diameter was .43 inches and the recovered weight was 115.2 grains.

k6wV3M1l.jpg

Out of the Beretta Nano, the first round impacted the bare gel block at 1072fps and penetrated to 20.5 inches. The diameter of the recovered bullet was .46 inches and the recovered weight was 115.2 grains. The chronograph did not get a reading but the bullet also penetrated to 20.5 inches. The recovered weight was 115 grains and recovered diameter was .44 inches.

IneOdZ3l.jpg

Last edited:

TruthTellers

I've been wondering about this load for a while as it's cheaper than Winchester White Box 115 grain, which thanks to ShootingtheBull410 on youtube, we know expands from a 3 inch barrel.

Penetration is pretty deep, but from a 5 inch barrel and going through bones and muscle, I expect overpentration will not be an issue. It is loaded a bit on the weak side, but given that it's 115 grain if it was hotter, the penetration may not be there.

I would trust this over the Magtech you tried more as I find Magtech ammo so inconsistent from box to box or gun to gun.

I'm still gonna stick with WWB 115 JHP simply because I can find it easily.

Thank you for doing these cheap 9mm tests, I prefer to get budget 9mm ammo vs the premium stuff that's twice the cost.