Finnish M39 Nagant

PATH

Just bought a hand select with a russian scope from Intraordnance. I am taking it to the range thhis day.
Any of you folks ever shot one? I'd be curious to know what you folks think of this particular rifle.

KSFreeman

I bought a couple (Sakos) when the 6s were approval a few years ago. Decent weapons for the money. Use mine for plinking. Good fun.

It took a while for me to learn to strip the bolt. However, if I can do it, you can too.

jason10mm

The finn mosin-nagants are supposed to be the most accurate of that family of rifles. They are usually compared with swiss rifles and the swede mausers. With good ammo (ie, not that mil-surp stuff) or with home rolled stuff, it should shoot quite well. If you are shooting mil-surp, be sure to clean it quickly in case the ammo is corrosive. Also, watch for shims if you take off the stock. I think the finns tweaked them a lot. IIRC, most of these guns were captured from the russians during the Winter war, so your russian scope may be appropriate to the rifle. Go to www.gunboards.com to soak in a vast knowledge pool about MNs. LAter.

PATH

Want to see a grown man cry? Watch a fella take his rifle out to the range and discover the firing pin is broken.:(

Ollie Krag

I have a 1917 Westinghouse Mosin and a 1948 Hungarian. They are excellent weapons. Almost as accurate as my beloved Krag jorgenson. The only drawback I see is the recoil is BRUTAL!

PATH

Erich,

I don't know how the firing pin got to be in a broken state. I turned it over to my favorite gunsmith and asked that it be made to work. I hope to be out this upcoming weekend sighting it in. As it was, looking down the scope had me drooling. I can't wait to try it out.

PATH

PATH

The firing pin is fixed. Buddy pulled a bullet and we tested it on a primer. Good and solid hit! I'm just finishing up the happy dance and will be taking it to the range. I'll let you all know how it shoots.

I own three Finn M39s. One VKT and two Sakos. I have only shot the VKT, but have shot it extensively. I used it last month to take second in my first ever VMBAR match (Vintage Military Bolt Action Rifle). My VKT is every bit as accurate as any Winchester, Remingon, Ruger rifle that I own. I am very much against modifying these old war horses but, I bought a scope mount from Darryl on Milsurpshooters.net that replaces the rear sight on the M39 in order to mount a scope scope; this also ensures that the rifle can be restored to as-issue condition with no holes drilled or stocks butchered. I was impressed with the VKT's accuracy and figured it was worth $30 (the cost of the scope mount as I remember) to see just what it could do. I own a number of military bolt actions and am limited in my accuracy testing due to eye sight (and skill). I added a Leupold scout scope and tested it at 100 yards. My first three shots after getting it on paper measured less than 1/2 inch. This was using S&B factory ammo. Like many of these older military rifles, my VKT is sensitive to heat. Once I fire about five rounds the POI starts to climb, opening up groups. Once I saw what the rifle could do, I removed the scope. These are definitely the cream of the milsurp rifle crop.
One of my Sakos is in really nice condition. The stock only has one ding in it on the handguard. The other day I completely disassembled it, cleaned all the old dirt and cosmoline off of it and put three coats of Linseed oil on the very dry stock. It is really a beauty. I guess I will see how it shoots at some point but my VKT shoots so well, I never really got around to trying the others.

Charlie Lima

When the Finns reissued captured or purchased MN's to their troops the criteria was 1.5 cm group @ 100M (3 shots)( this is about 1.5 MOA). this was for general issue not "sniper" issue. any that did not meet criteria were stripped down & rebuilt.
note: Simo Haya ( the a's need a .. on top) the MOST prolific sniper in history had 600+ kills in 90 days using an iron sighted Finn MN ( tho' his was a "91) at ranges out to 600+ meters.
More info can be found on the Mosin Nagant web page.
My M39 shoots quite well thank you.