Finishes - Roguard vs. Blackened Stainless Steel

Jeff Thomas

Does anyone have experience with blackened stainless steel? I was recently advised to have a Para P-12 finished in Roguard instead of blackened stainless steel because it would be more durable, and offers some help in reducing friction.

It just seems that blackened stainless would be more durable, but I don't have enough experience or knowledge regarding either treatment. Any ideas? Thanks.

George Stringer

Staff Alumnus
Jeff, black stainless is in effect blued stainless. I don't think it will last longer than Roguard if, and I think you are, talking about the NP3 finish. There are so many Guards and Kotes out these days it's hard to keep track. but, the NP3 finish is the most durable I've seen. George

Blue Jays

Hi Everyone-

NP3 is a ROBAR proprietary finish, it is a silverish-bronze color that is similar to Nickel.

Roguard is also a ROBAR proprietary finish. It is what they claim is their toughest black finish.

They also have another high-tech finish that can be used on steel, aluminum, and even synthetic stocks called Polymax. That product is available in a variety of colors.

I've heard lots of great things about BearCoat, too. Certainly worth a peek at their web site.

Check out http://www.robarguns.com and http://www.bearcoat.com

Regards,

~ Blue Jays ~

blades67

Jeff - I have a P226 with the Roguard/NP3 finishes. The slide, frame and magazines have the Roguard finish and the internals have the NP3 finish. I bought the pistol this way, so I have no idea of the cost nor the time it took to complete. However, after 3,500 rounds since I purchased it (former owner claimed 1,000+ after refinish), I can detect only minimal wear to the finish from a Kydex holster. (Your results may vary based on usage, blah blah blah... ;))

------------------
May your lead always hit center mass and your brass always land in your range bag.

~Blades~

Walt Sherrill

Several guns come with blackened SS Slides. This is a common practice with Sig. They still show wear. (But then so do all of the other spray-on finishes.)

About the only thing that is really durable is the Hard Chrome.

Roguard has a good reputation, as do many other similiar finishes.

Check out WWW.ARIZONARESPONSESYSTEMS.COM . This guy has finishes comparable to Roguard, and many photos in his photo gallery.

Jeff-
I have Colt Officer and Commander Models with Roguard on the slides and NP3 on the frames. Both finishes have held up *real* well despite regular abuse.

I wish I had known of your interest earlier. I'd have shown you the Officer Model when we got together.
Regards,
Rich

Jeff Thomas

Rich, thanks, but it worked out OK. I've got another friend who is quite involved with Robar, and he showed me his 1911. Took my Kahr in for the NP3 / Roguard (on slide) treatment, and should have it back in a couple of weeks - really looking forward to seeing how it comes out.

My dilemma was that these finishes seem like no-brainers on a blued gun that is suffering from body moisture, but a stainless pistol seems like a tougher decision. I gather, in the final analysis, that just isn't true, and I should consider the same finishes I do for a blued handgun.

Take care.

Snapsho7

Does anyone have any experience with the Black-T finish?? I've heard it's just as good as Robar's Roguard.

I'm looking to change the SS barrel of an Armalite M15A4(T) to black. Thanks in advance for the information.