Finishes of revolvers

458winshooter

What do you prefer as the finish on your ideal revolver?Stainless,nickel,or blued,what gets you excited?Pics welcome and thanks.

GUNKWAZY

Stainless is my overall choice of finish.
Much more durable than Blue, won't show holster wear like blued finishes.
Also can be polished to look like nickel with-out the problems of nickel.
Don't get me wrong, I love a beautiful blued or nickel revolver. But, as far as over all durabilty, strength & beauty goes, I'm going with stainless.

66x5.jpg

brightpythons.jpg

Jeff (GUNKWAZY)

Last edited:

WSM MAGNUM

1. Stainless Steel
2. Blued - the older method of bluing. Today`s bluing on guns just don`t look
as good as the older guns. A lot of them are black now.
3. Nickel

This is my preference in this order.

madcratebuilder

I think stainless is the most practical, easy to repair scratches and holster wear, can be polished. Nothing looks as good as the bluing on m27's and m29's from the 60's. Nickle looks great but takes more upkeep. I have two 1911's that I had hard chromed, looks great, easy to keep up, I'm starting to show some ware on one that is over thiry years old. I even like the patina on some of my old cap and ball revolvers, aged bare steel has a special look. The German Silver on my old Colts is pretty cool to.

dahermit

Being a traditionalist, it was not easy for me to accept stainless steel guns when they first appeared. It did not help that the most beautiful gun is a blued model 19 S&W, whereas the M 66 was essentially the same gun but its yellowish stainless made it ugly as hell. Nevertheless, the more current stainless guns with the slightly bluish cast (unlike the yellow S&W M66), are very attractive and the most problem free of all three finishes listed.
The time of the blue handgun for all working guns (not safe queens) has arrived and is here to stay. Nevertheless, plastic still gives me the creeps.

Last edited:

Ricky

Gunkwazy

The pics of your Smiths is fairly impressive. When I scrolled down and saw your Python collection I drooled on my keyboard!:eek:

12GaugeShuggoth

For a carry revolver, stainless steel. For a range/fun/HD revolver, blued. Personally I can't stand nickel finish, though there's no real reason other than that I don't really care for shiny guns.

Gun 4 Fun

There's nothing more beautiful than an older Smith and Wesson with the deep blue/black finish, with some REALLY nice wood to go with it! Stainless may be durable, but it's so plain and unexciting.

savit260

Old school blue with some honest wear puts a smile on my face.

The right revolver in nickel will make my heart pound!

I don't really find stailess all that appealing , unless it's highly polished or nicely engraved.

Coastal

The older blued revolvers are the way guns are supposed to look. And good old honest holster wear just adds character.

Sgt.Fathead

I'm a black gun guy w/r/t rifles and shotguns, for the most part, and I only like semi-autos in black/blued/colored frames and slides but for me, a good revolver in dull stainless is great. They're easier for me to clean and easier to maintain, resist corrosion and rust a little better, too.

I do like old school Colt and S&W revolvers with that deep glossy blue, though. Was that the older method of cold bluing before the EPA got involved?

CraigC

I prefer traditional finishes for the most part. Deep, bright bluing, color case hardening and browned barrels on muzzleloaders. Although I have two custom single actions that are stainless and one that is hard chromed, it tends to leave me a little cold. Which is why I'll probably never own a Freedom Arms, preferring to have a custom Ruger instead. I do like bright nickel though.