Finished my M&P 45 Midsize!!!

presspics

Bought this beauty new and since I am in Massachusetts It needed a little work to be perfect.

I lightened and smoothed the trigger, removed the right side thumb safety lever and filled the hole in the frame, installed a 10-8 rear sight and deepened the notch for the thumb safety so it would be more firm like a 1911.

Attachments

• 1.jpg
    1.jpg
    78.2 KB · Views: 152
  • 2.jpg
    2.jpg
    82.3 KB · Views: 100
  • 3.jpg
    3.jpg
    55 KB · Views: 86

MLeake

I'm curious, what made you go with the mid-size?

I find the grip much harder to conceal than the barrel, personally. Do you prefer the balance and pointing characteristics of the shorter barrel and slide?

Also, what did you do to lighten and smooth the trigger?

I put Apex sears in both my compact and full-size M&P45s, and put Straight-8 sets on both.

Enjoy your pistol.

Cheers,

M

presspics

I like the shorter barrel and slide because it is less likely to show from underneath a jacket since I don't carry IWB. It also does point a little easier for me.

As for the trigger, I remove some of the angle on the rear of the sear (the part that contacts the striker). I modify the front of the sear just a little bit. I find that the Apex sear and the typically recommended cut on the sear that contacts the trigger bar moves the sear release point too far back in the trigger movement. The timing of the trigger release point and the trigger bar contacting the striker block are best left to happen at the same time so you don't feel two distinct clicks. I also smooth out the striker block which is where all of the grittiness of the M&P trigger comes from.

sailskidrive

I have an M&P9. Anyone else think they look like an updated Sigma?

I'm very visual, maybe I just keep fixating on the look of the trigger.

sailskidrive

I disagree. Look at the back of the strap near the beaver tail, the profile of the slide, the trigger, and the pin placement on the frame. The M&P has scales, but picture it with straight serrations instead...

I'm too tired, I should post overlays and 27 8x10 glossy photos. ;)

Last edited:

bigghoss

I was seriously considering an M&P .45 but I found an XD .45 compact in almost new condition at the LGS. 400 rounds without a problem but I find I don't shoot it very well. I'll give it another few hundred rounds and see if it grows on me. if not I'll get the M&P or a glock 21sf.

T1gger

What'd you use to fill in the hole left by removing the safety? I'm all for DIY stuff, though this is more ambitious than I'd currently be comfortable with. I recently started to learn about what's going on on the inside of handguns, just struck me one day as something I may enjoy.

presspics

I used the frame plug from S&W but it needed some serious modification to work with the thumb safety still in place. I get all of my M&P parts from Speed Shooter Specialties.