Finish on Portugal BHPs ??

Lavan

I have had a Browning Hi Power for 30 years and love the thing. "Assembled in Portugal."

It is not blued. At first I thought it was paint, but it sure doesn't act like paint.

Durable, easy to clean, not wearing off at all.
I have no complaints even if I like the "appearance" of traditional bluing.

But....What IS it?

:confused:

Jim Watson

It is either blued or with a coating somewhat like old fashioned stove enamel. Might be black Parkerized.
There weren't many if any other choices for a dark finish 30 years ago.

rock185

R. Blake Stevens' book describes the finish as "enamel-over-phosphate". I've owned several and found the finish to be very durable.

rodfac

R. Blake Stevens' book describes the finish as "enamel-over-phosphate". I've owned several and found the finish to be very durable.
Yep, my experience as well and I've owned two of the beautifully blued models as well. Rod
Pics of my Practical after 2500 rounds and my Standard in .40 S&W with ~1000 rounds down range.

dgludwig

It is not blued. At first I thought it was paint, but it sure doesn't act like paint.

I'm not sure what it is but it reminds me of the finish most CZ pistols used to come with-and some still do.

rodfac

I'll add that the finish on my Practical is very practical and shows no loss of coating after ~2000 rounds. (see Post 6...the two-tone BHP) It really is a more usable (read duty type daily carry) exterior than that deep shiny blue that Browning is famous for. Best regards and YMMv, Rod