Finding the right gun by trial & error

wyobohunter

So expensive but sometimes necessary. I traded in my 4" bbl 500 S&W and Kel-Tek PF9 for a Ruger Super Redhawk Alaskan in 454 Casull. I definately lost money on the deal but I think I've found the right handgun.

The PF9 obviously is no good for hiking/fishing/family walks in and near Bear country but I carried it all the time as a concealed carry piece because it was nice & light.

The 500 S&W is the most powerfull commercially produced revolver and I really liked it but the durn thing was a huge chunk o' steel to haul around. Especially on those family walks near and slightly into the woods. The other problem I had with it is that IMO it isn't the best backcountry survival platform because birdshot shells are not commercially available.

The Ruger, although not as powerful as the S&W still packs plenty of punch yet it is small/lightweight enough that I don't need suspenders to take it on a family walk. I can get 45 Colt dies and load light kicking plinker and HD loads. Finally, CCI makes bird shot cartridges that will work in this gun - IMO those are a good thing to have as part of a survival kit when venturing into the back country because they should work fine for Grouse/Ptarmigan at close range (I'll post some pattern pics/hunt report when I try it out).

I don't have dies etc. yet so I bought some Hornady XTP 454 300 gr Mag. ammunition & went straight to the range from the gun shop - The recoil is comparable to the 500 S&W because the ruger is 3/4 lbs lighter (just as I thought). It will be much more pleasant to practice with once I get dies (2 sets) and can load the 45 Colt practice/HD ammo.
Accuracy was plenty acceptable for the guns intended purpose; I can put all six shots on a pie plate from 15 yds. firing fairly quickly in double action. These groups will likely improve with load developement and practice.

I am happy with the trade as I feel that the "little" Ruger nicely bridges the gap between the monster 500 and the pee-wee 9mm.

Last edited:

sheepman

Welcome to the club, you are just getting started. After over 40 years of buying the perfect hand gun only to trade or sell it to get the perfect hand gun, I still am looking for just the right gun. As you age your needs (desires) will change and your forever gun will be replaced by another forever gun, and so on and so forth. Good luck, I am still looking. Bill

By the way the Ruger Alaskan is on my future list.

win-lose

Welcome to the club, you are just getting started. After over 40 years of buying the perfect hand gun only to trade or sell it to get the perfect hand gun, I still am looking for just the right gun. As you age your needs (desires) will change and your forever gun will be replaced by another forever gun, and so on and so forth. Good luck, I am still looking. Bill

I find this club's dues to be quite high.... Nothing like the dues for the boating club though!

Edited to add: I am not a member of the boating club.

Last edited: