Finding a lot of tumbling media in my hollow points...

specifically in my Hornady XTP's... used that same brand of bullet in 32 H&R Magnum, 38 Special, & 44 Special, & an average of 3 bullets per 100 have the nose packed full of ( I assume ) cob tumbling media, from the factory...

anyone else seen this with the XTP's ???

if I missed one ( unlikely... I usually take my dental pick & dig them out )... shooting them with the nose packed full in the bullet... do you think they'd act like FTX's ( maybe that's where they got the idea??? )... can't think of any performance issues... bullet would be marginally heavier, & the bullet may or may not expand normally...

just being a little OCD... I don't like cob in my hollow points :)

Geezerbiker

Easy fix, stop tumbling loaded rounds. I can see a possibility that it would hinder expansion but I wouldn't bet my lunch money on it...

Tony

Geezerbiker,

If you reread the post, you'll notice he said they are coming from the factory like that. This is the result of factory tumbling to remove forming lube or water marks from washing off forming lube. It's to make them look pretty.

MWM,

The reason the FBI ammo qualification tests include shooting through several layers of denim over the face of the ballistic gelatin is that hollow points frequently fail to open when clogged with clothing. I've not tested it myself, but have seen numbers on the order of 30-50% failure of pistol bullets to expand shooting through clothing. It will depend on the bullet and the clothing (leather jackets are worse than t-shirts, obviously) and also on actual velocity (being much faster, expanding rifle bullets shooting through hide don't normally exhibit this issue). So, you could experience expansion failures.

skizzums

anything I buy from speer always has a ton of media in the HP and in the box itself. I do get some I my hornadays as well. gotta use a paperclip

wogpotter

I've never found it in the 125 Gr .357 ones.
What I have discovered is the diameter of the HP cavity & the resulting surrounding "front" & jacket vary massively from lot to lot.

just loaded 200 of the 125 grain .357" bullets & had 6 of them in 2 boxes... 8 of them in 2 boxes of 32 caliber, & only 5 in 2 boxes of 240 grain 44's... so from my experience the smaller the hollow point cavity, the more likely they'll be packed ???

skizzums

I apologize for my ignorance, but I must be too old or too young for that word.

I am going to need a description for the word "mahwellous" please

Geezerbiker

Sorry I missed that it was factory bullets. One of those things that happens with my dyslexia....

This is odd to say the least. In 30 years of reloading, I've never seen this with factory bullets.

Tony