Finding a good 1000yd rifle.

abowlieb

I'm looking for a 1000yd rifle. With a minimum 26in barrel. I have a few in mind but would like some input on the Remington 700, the Browning X bolt.

I have a price limit of $1000.00. I've narrowed my choices to the Remington 700 long Range and X bolt. From what I've read. The 700 come bedded, a heavy floating barrel and adjustable trigger. Which has me thinking it would be a better pick.

The weapons will be used for hunting and range time. Will be a 30-06. Just because I like that round and I have all the things needed to reload that caliber already.

At the moment I have a monarch 3, 4-16x42 scope. I know it may not be the best for what Im looking to do but will it get the job done?

Thx for any input or pointers I should look for in a long range weapon.

abowlieb

Idk if that was a sarcastic question or not but just looking for some info bro.

In the Marine Corp we shot 500yds with open sights. Im pretty good with that scope at 700 yds with my savage 110, clambered in 30-06. I was looking for an "upgrade" without spending a million dollars. That is what I learned from the Corp, do more with less, Oohrah! .

I just wanted something I can hunt with and shoot long range with my buddies for fun. The savage has a 22in barrel so my thought was a little longer barrel would be more helpful when reaching there but I didnt want it so long it wouldn't work well in the woods.

g.willikers

Thanks for appreciating my attempts at humor.
Was that pickup size or 18 wheeler?
But the size of the target is important.
Didn't know if the rifle was for target shooting at the typical 1000 yard bullseye or for something else.
And, for those who have yet to try shooting at that distance, a full sized pickup ain't that easy to hit.
There's a lot about knowing how to read wind, understanding trajectory and scope adjustment, as well as the caliber and bullet choices.
But there must be a reason the long distance competitors are willing to pay the price of a good truck for their rifles, though.
Unlike most of the types of shooting we get involved with, 1,000 + yard accuracy involves every little detail to be just right.
And probably one of the few times where the gun isn't the least of it.
Your price point might not be near enough for gun and scope for this adventure.
Even shooting at full sized pickups.
But since you already are accomplished at 700 yards with the rifle you have, what's wrong with it that won't allow you to use it for the additional yardage?
And where do you shoot that provides that distance?
They are hard to come by anywhere around here.

Last edited:

TxFlyFish

There isn't that much difference between a 110 and an ANY upgrade. For 30-06 lengthening the barrel will just add more weight and decrease barrel rigidity, the powder is probably already burnt up by 22".

You will be most likely disappointed with the upgrade as far as accuracy. If you and the 110 can maintain 1 MOA consistently your are good for 1000yd. More expensive rifles just add coolness and durability, no matter what sniper forums say.

g.willikers

Ah, the answer to why a new gun is required is all too obvious.
Don't know why I even needed to ask.
Any excuse to buy another gun is a good one, yes?

abowlieb

Their really isn't a reason the ol savage wont reach it. Just thought a longer barrel and it gives me a reason to buy a new rifle.

I live in pa but I visit my Marine brothers in Texas every year for hog hunts and some long range shooting fun. Last yr he got the best of me and I need to get him back.

Just thought the Xbolt or 700 would be better. I could go for a different caliber. Thought hard about the 308. Just a little hesitant because I already have the powders, cases and dies for the 30-06.

T. O'Heir

The Bull at 1,000 is 24".
Your $1,000 budget might hinder what you can buy. A lot depends on what kind of 1,000 yard shooting you plan on doing. And if buying used is an option.
26" barrels are mostly for magnum cartridges and high end target rifles. The .30-06 doesn't really like more than 24" either.
New Savage target and long range hunting rifles start at $1500ish with no sights. Buying used is not like buying a used vehicle.
"...gives me a reason to buy a new rifle..." "I want one." is a reason.

TxFlyFish

abowlieb just messing w ya if you want to get it get it because it's cool...just don't want you to sink your hard earned money in something that is not going to give you an advantage.

If you want to upgrade there's 338 lapua put that in AI AW and throw on a zeiss hensoldt, no custom rifle can match it for sheer durability and consistency

ndking1126

From the ones you mentioned, I would say get the Remington. The lower end Remingtons are the ones that have the bad rep. From what I've seen and read, the high end Remingtons still get the job done.

For the scope, I would say yes, the Nikon will work. Many will disagree with me, but it will meet the minimum standard. I've shot to 620 yards with a 35 year old, blurry 3-9x Bushnell. However, give it time.. you will want to replace it. Long range shooting is a disease you can't get rid of it once its gotten a hold of you.

I highly recommend you think about reloading. You might be get lucky and find a bullet that shoots accurately out of your new rifle without spending $2.50+ a round. Or maybe you won't.. reloading will allow you to tune your bullet to your rifle, shoot more accurately and save money.

I would recommend you look at a cartridge other than the 30-06. If that's all you can get (or decide to stick with the Savage) there's nothing wrong with shooting it that far. However, if you are buying a new rifle for this specific purpose there are definitely better options. I would recommend 260 Rem (I shoot a Savage with Shilen match barrel, 26", 1-8 twist in 260 Rem) or a 7mm variant. The 260 is nice because it has so little recoil, uses less powder and has a much better BC then the 308.

4runnerman

The remmy ( IMHO) I would not waste a dime on. Now the X Bolt. I have heard nothing but very good things about them. What Caliber are you looking at?.
I shoot 1000 to 1400 yards with a 6MMBR. Any of the 6's are good, 6.5, also dont overlook the 260. Awesome rifle there, If 1000 is the max also look at the 308.

kraigwy

I shot many a 1000 yard targets an 30-06 using iron sights. Yes there are better (maybe) target rounds out there, the 6.5s and such but you mentioned hunting.

There isn't much in NA that cant be successfully hunted with a '06 and 180 gr bullets. Plenty of excellent 30 cal bullets our there, either for targets or hunting.

To be honest my main hunting rifle is a 270 Win. But I have others including my Pre-64 M-70 in '06. Let me tell you, that puppy can shoot. I wouldn't have any doubts about shooting targets with it at 1000.

I'm a Winchester fan but that's not to say your choice of the M700 is a bad one, they are excellent rifles, they just arnt Model 70s.

I don't know about the scope you mentioned, but for the money its hard to beat a Vortex. You'll never find a better warrantee then that that comes with the Vortex optics.

Build your '06 and you wont be sorry.

tobnpr

Nothing wrong with your choice...but I'll throw this out there...

For the same grand, I'd put a $400 match barrel (Criterion. McGowen or Krieger) on the Savage (along with a Rifle Basix Trigger at 2-3 lbs. for the range- change it out for hunting), and $600 for a better optic.

I'll admit I'm partial to Savages- just saying buying another factory rifle is, well, buying another factory rifle. JMO, but I think you be ahead of the game with a match barrel and better glass.

Road_Clam

abowlieb said:
I'm looking for a 1000yd rifle. With a minimum 26in barrel. I have a few in mind but would like some input on the Remington 700, the Browning X bolt.

I have a price limit of $1000.00. I've narrowed my choices to the Remington 700 long Range and X bolt. From what I've read. The 700 come bedded, a heavy floating barrel and adjustable trigger. Which has me thinking it would be a better pick.

The weapons will be used for hunting and range time. Will be a 30-06. Just because I like that round and I have all the things needed to reload that caliber already.

At the moment I have a monarch 3, 4-16x42 scope. I know it may not be the best for what Im looking to do but will it get the job done?

Thx for any input or pointers I should look for in a long range weapon.

Here's my pieced together $1020 1000 yd hammer :

Used R700 sporter .300 win mag : $450
Bell & Carelson Tac A5 stock $420
new take off heavy contour 26" Sondero barrel $150

Total : $1020

Reason I went with the tried and true .300WM is projectile and brass availability. Components are available all day long. I recently attended a 1000 yd instructional class and my go to rifle and round was the .300WM using 208 Amax's with 75.5gr of H1000 . I was averaging 2750 fps and at 1000 ft my velocity was still about 1500 fps. (this is sometimes where the 308's start running out of steam and going transonic). Asking for a solid precision target rifle AND a hunting rifle is a tall order. Sporter barrels don't respond favorably to a lot of quick consecutive shots then they start straying random shots from excessive heat. Keep in mind my setup is strictly prone target. This rig is about 15 lbs , so hauling it through the woods would be tiresome...

Last edited:

RAfiringline

>I'm looking for a 1000yd rifle. With a minimum 26in barrel. I have a few in mind but would like some input on the Remington 700, the Browning X bolt. <

On youtube, there's a prolific poster named "nutnfancy", who I know has done some long range shooting evaluations of common "out-of-the-box" rifles. It's been over a year, but I think he did something on the Rem 700 and at least one Savage rifle.

He's pretty good at his evaluations, so it might help to see what he has.

abowlieb

Thx for all the helpful input fellas, Im start digging into and learning about some of the things u guys posted. Learning something new everyday! :)