Finding 380 Brass in my Dillon feeder

Jeryray

I have not been diligent enough and have found some 380 brass in my XL650.

I just found out about the accessory plate to be used with my 3 tub system. I have that on order.

So now I really keep and eye on the brass that has dropped into the shell plate. I can see the .380 is slightly smaller.

What do you guys do so you don't have this happen to you?

TIA

Chainsaw.

I go by feel, if I stoke the arm and it is way to easy the first thing I do is look at the case that just got sized, Ive caught a few 380s that way. So far so good.

Jeffm004

Get some .40 ammo box inserts, the hard plastic with square pockets, not the molded Styrofoam. Just dump handfuls of brass over an insert, shaking it to settle cases into the pockets. Different calibers will be immediately obvious.

pick out the .380 with a tweezers, they are pretty obvious. There is video on the internet.

briandg

I have cigar trays. Pack the casings into that flat tray and pull out the short ones. It's not time consuming.

noylj

I really wonder what ever happened to a major safety step in reloading--inspecting every round (which includes looking at and reading the head stamp).

JeepHammer

Large Volume brass qualifying is MIND NUMBING work!

Anything you can do to speed things up on large volumes is a good idea.
Nothing is quite as fallible as the human eye after about 1,000 rounds...

I do TONS of rifle brass...
Case feeder often sorts out the .308 brass from 5.56 brass, the .308 simply stays in the feeder bin, too long for the drop slot.
(Same with .30-06 brass in .308 buckets)

A case neck qualifier sorts .204 & bent necks/mouth brass from the 5.56 brass.

Neck qualifier simply pushes a 'Die' into the case mouth via electric solenoid,
Small enough to fit into a round 5.56 mouth, punches bent or .204 out the bottom.
Bent necks won't center and punch out the bottom.

Rolling cases (Case Pro machine) will make cracked handgun cases 'Chirp' like a bird keeping you from the blinding work of inspecting loaded rounds for cracks which often aren't obvious before a bullet expands the crack.
(Case Pro Roller also takes the 'Bump' from feed ramps out of the cases so they feed flawlessly)

I like the idea of a 'Cigar' box bottom!
On a declined table with shaker that would run cases past you in volume making identification MUCH easier...
The width of round bottom groove would alert you to over width cases even if they were very close in diameter...

OK, brain has ANOTHER idea I don't have time for, but probably won't let me alone until I try it!

nukeandjuke

Get some .40 ammo box inserts, the hard plastic with square pockets, not the molded Styrofoam. Just dump handfuls of brass over an insert, shaking it to settle cases into the pockets. Different calibers will be immediately obvious.

pick out the .380 with a tweezers, they are pretty obvious. There is video on the internet.

This. Best and cheap advice

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Jeryray

That does work. I now have the metal plate I insert to the yellow brass tray.
Works too, just can't do as much.

I think I'll just take the empty case to the range and spread the brass over it, worth a try.