Finding 148 HBWC?

Russ5924

I have been trying to buy 148 HBWC for the the last two months.All places where I got before have dried up Midway has been backordered since Dec.I can find them but at $25.00 for 500 kind of high. There has to be some small bullet maker someplace? :(

Leftoverdj

This kinda stuff is why I took to casting. It's not really practical to cast HBWC, but DEWC are a snap. If you cast your own, you hever have to worry about the supply drying up, the quality getting crappy, the manufacturer changing designs on you, or going to a worthless lube. When you get low, you spend a couple of evenings making more.

G56

Did you ever try loading the HBWC backwards? That makes it a whompin big hollowpoint.
LOOKS real impressive, but is unstable and starts tumbling a few feet from the muzzle, shoot them at a target from 5 yards and many will go through the target sideways, making that impressive looking hollowpoint useless for defense.

Been there, done that.

m0ntels

I just got the 500 box of Speers from Midway. Loaded a few hundred but havent gotten to shoot them yet. They look much nicer than in that picture, although I did get one half-melted one in the box. It's a bit pre-expanded :p

Lube on them is a dry lube that feels slick, almost like silicone spray, and it doesnt really come off on my hands which is nice. I'd buy more if they shoot as good as they look.

Randy

Leftoverdj

G56, some do, some don't. I have a few hundred of the original Hydroshoks left. They were an inverted HBWC with a little lead tit in the hollow and they shoot quite well. I also have a Lyman mould for .41 HBWCs that shoot reasonably well inverted.

m0ntels

I was just wishing I could find some .410 HBWC last night :D

Saw a place near here makes cast so I gotta check them out sometime. Saving on shipping helps and supporting the locals is good too.

Randy

Quantrill

The rumor a few years back was that loading HBWC backwards with anything other than mild target loads would (could) result in a cracked forcing cone. Never happened to me, but then I stopped doing it after hearing the rumor. Quantrill

JohnSmallTX

Sports World, Inc. in Tulsa, OK has them for $15.43 / 500. Also, have other pricing / quantity too. $9 shipping on $50 minimum order. They've got a web site.

beenthere

Hbwc

Midway also has Meister 148 gr HBWC.

Yes I have shot them. Yes they are unstable. Yes they would tumble and tear a ragged hole. :D Sometimes like at 20 foot that sounds pretty good.