Finally

kraigwy

In 1981 my house was broken into, after catching the guy, we recovered all but three of my handguns.

One that wasn't recovered was my Smith Model 1917 Revolver, in 45 ACP.

Ever since then I've been searching for a replacement in as good or better condition. Lost many at the last second on Gun Brokers, passed on some junk at gun shows,

Finally, I found it at our local gun show. A bit steep, but I've offered more on Gunbrokers.

Plus it's in much better shape than the one I lost.

I'm a happy camper now. Knew there was a reason I hung onto the half moon clips.

Model%201917%20Revolver21.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

Jim567

Very fond of those pistols, many years ago I sold one that was pristine.
Still grieve Lol
It did have the US property ground off

kraigwy

And now I can learn to shoot that revolver.

Found a reprint of Fm 23-36, The field manuel for the Model 1917 Colt and S&W revolvers

m1917%20fm.jpg

themalicious0ne

I am very happy you were able to replace it. Fascinating and fantastic firearm.

I have one from my grandfather and wont ever let it go. I took it to a gun show just to see what people would appraise it at with my grandpa and I couldn't beat people away with a stick trying to buy it from me. Unfortunately it doesnt have the original grips but everyone said it's condition was around 90%. Great shooter too.

CLC

Nice. I traded a Hakim for a Colt 1917 a couple years back. Mine isnt in as nice of shape. What age is yours? Does it have a flamming bomb?

gwpercle

Awesome !
One of these was the very first 45 acp's I ever shot. 1965 My best friends daddy had one with a case of WWII surplus 45 ammo. We would take the 1917 and fill our pockets with ammo and go to the dump and shoot at "stuff" . We didn't know about them 1/2 moon clips , we just brought a #2 pencil with us to poke out the empties.
Thanks for posting the photo's , it brings back a lot of good memories.
Gary

Congratulations on the 1917. I like the Colt but admit the S&W is far easier to work on and yours is a beauty. I love those lanyard loops too and when I worked on a WW II Victory model, milled out the plug on the grip so as to install a replacement lanyard on it.