FINALLY! - Some good press

TheBluesMan

Moderator Emeritus
Violators of gun purchase law seldom prosecuted by federal authorities

Here is the article: http://www.pioneerplanet.com/seven-days/2/news/docs/033981.htm

Here is an excerpt:
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Every day, a computer at the sprawling FBI crime information center in rural West Virginia kicks out the names of 100 or more convicted felons and others who, though barred by law from owning a gun, tried to buy one anyway by lying on their firearms applications.

In most instances, the federal government knows where to find these gun law violators, and has in its possession evidence that could lead to convictions. But this is one gun law the government rarely enforces.

Of the 23,000-plus cases referred by the FBI to the federal Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco and Firearms for potential prosecution since the beginning of the year, only 65 people have been arrested, according to the ATF.[/quote]

This reporter apparently took the NRA's last press release/fax alert and actually decided it was newsworthy. Wow! Imagine that. :D

We need to see more of this type of reporting if we will ever convince the borderline antis that we don't need more gun restrictions that won't be enforced.

By the same token, those that are worried about gun confiscation probably shouldn't worry too much. If the Feds don't round up these thousands of felons, what makes you think they'll lift a finger to round up you and me?

I know, I know. It's already starting in Kalifornia, but they're not really part of this planet. And besides, that's the Staties, not the Feds doing that. (correct me if I'm wrong) :)

Edited to fix URL, they changed it's location on me.

------------------
"A right is not what someone gives you; it's what no one can take from you." - Ramsay Clark

"Rights are liable to be perverted to wrongs when we are incapable of rightly exercising them." - Sarah Josepha Hale

[This message has been edited by TheBluesMan (edited September 09, 1999).]

Dennis

Staff Emeritus
The East Germans closed off East Berlin and built the Berlin wall. But they built the wall at the behest of the USSR or (at a minimum) with the approval of the USSR.

The State of California is violating our U.S. Constitution. California could not do this without the approval of our federal government.

Where are our outraged representatives?

Where are the Presidential nominees who believe "innocent" (or "proven innocent") people should be "able to own a gun"?

What happened to at least Amendments 2 & 4, probably 5, 9 & 10?

If California is run by Democrats, why aren't the Republicans screaming in horror?

Notice the quiet from the east coast?

Oh! Sorry! I forgot. "This is only a test!"

Dennis

Staff Emeritus
I just received this e-mail.

(quote)
You folks have been hearing about the gun proposals floating around southern
CA wondering if they're rumors or not.

Here's a confirmation:

As reported on KFI AM 640 News (12:00 noon PT):

The LA County Board of Supervisors are in session again - usually a good
time to hide your constitution under the bed for safety.

Among the THREE anti -gun proposals in the table, take note of #3:

Get Ready for this...

A proposal to COLLECT "illegal guns" from gun owners. And they're NOT
talking buy-backs, either.

No Kidding, Folks,

Just another day for you and me in Paradise.

J.J. Johnson www.jj-johnson.com
(unquote)

Oatka

Let me thump the tub again for dropping the Editor a short note of thanks and mention the reporter. These things do a world of good for us with the press. When they see email coming in from all over the country about a story that was printed in a small town newspaper, it's bound to encourage them to print some more.

The reporter's name is Chris Mondics and the
editor's email is -
letters@pioneerpress.com

------------------
If you can't fight City Hall, at least defecate on the steps.