FINALLY..... sighted in the SSG PIIK !!

Rob Pincus

Okay, thanks to the rolling hills on the property of the Old Fredericketown FOP Lodge #12, I finally found a place to go sight in my PIIK....

Over a month of dry-firing has been pretty damn frustrating without so much as a round down the barrel.

I had some 6" circle targets, 40 rounds of Winchester BST 168 gr, 5 thumbtacks, my rifle bag/mat, ears/eyes, Binos, a big hill, a couple big trees, a clearing and a half-full camelback. Not exactly the FBI Sniper Range, but any longer and I would've shot this thing at an indoor pistol range with surplus ammo!

I haven't been able to find a bipod post for the European Rail, so there would be no bipod for this range session. I had two sticks and an old brick under the front end of my shooting mat and I shot from prone.

I paced off about 25 yards and hoped that I'd be on paper.... a good buddy had boresighted my Leupold 4.5-14x40 Mil-Dot several weeks ago, and I was hoping that the notebook paper sized targets were enough paper at 25 yards.... they were.

First shot was a significantly low and left, so was the second.... several clicks and 4 shots later I had three rounds touching the center orange dot (about 1 centimeter).

I scoped out the nicest Big Tree/Target Stand I could get a flat clear shot to and paced it off. As best I can remember my paces, it was about 80 meters.. good enough for me. I tacked a couple targets to it and got back on the rifle.

Two shots high and left.

Clickity-clickity.

One shot high center. Two shots high left.

Clickity-clickity.

Obliterated the little orange dot. Tacking the targets to the tree meant that the holes left in the paper were pretty damn ragged.. given the uneven surface and the flying bits o' bark.

Put up two more targets, two shots to each one, both shots within 1" of each other, and the dot.

At this point, I was thrilled. I'm mostly a pistol shooter... and most of my recent experience with rifles has been with Scout-types. So I was glad to see that getting this rifle "in the zone" wasn't going to take me forever.

I put up two Shoot-n-C targets on other trees, both approximately the same distance from my shooting position. I packed up the rifle in the bag/mat, threw the shoulder straps on and hiked up to the top of the hill. I went into the lodge, ran a few patches through the barrel, and packed the rifle up again. Before I left, I loaded the last 4 rounds from the box ammo into the magazine.

I hiked back down to the shooting position, broke out the rifle, shoved the brick back under the mat and put two rounds into each target.

Next time out, I'm borrowing a buddy's range finder, so I can get spot on for 100 yards. Then I'll be able to start doing some longer distance shooting.

I was happy with the rifle, the trigger is awesome, the rifle feels very good to me.

Anyone with a line on that bipod adapter for the rail, please let me know!

------------------
-Essayons

rhetor

A new Steyr SSG PIIK was my tax return rifle for this year. Like you I've only had mine out once so far, but the facilities I have available are an improvement over your situation. My rifle club has ranges at 100, 200, 300 and 600 yards, decent benches etc. I handloaded some mild loads using IMR 4895, Win brass, Fed Primers and 168gr Sierra match bullets that I moly coated at home with a Midway kit. The scope on this rifle is a Swarovski 3-10. It took 5 shots to get the rifle sighted in 4in high on center at 100 yards.The first 5 shot group was one hole in 1/2 inch. I cranked the scope down to group at 3in high. and shot another five shot, one hole group of the same size. Not every group that day was this small as I tried different aiming points etc. but it was clear that this rifle was going to group around 1/2 MOA on a regular basis. My rifle has the double set triggers, and although I have heard others complain about this trigger option, I find the double set trigger to be very condusive to producing tight groups. In short, I'm more than a little happy with the Steyr. As things stand, I probably won't shoot this rifle at 100 yards much more as it is too easy. I'm looking forward airing this thing out at 300+.

hksigwalther

I've got an original Parker-Hale bi-pod on my PII. Got it for 300 FREAKIN' DOLLARS! (Early '90s) Built like a tank, though. Now Versa-Pod (you can find them in Gun List ads, Shotgun News ads, think I even saw them in Cabela's) comes out (past coupla years) with an identical knockoff for <$70. And, you can buy extended legs and various feet configurations with them. Also, different bases for different rifles. Since the bi-pod itself connects to the base and not the rifle, you can buy just one bi-pod and a base for each of your rifles. This way, you just have move the bi-pod around from rifle to rifle as needed (i.e., you don't have to buy a bi-pod for every rifle). The only bad thing about the Parker-Hale (type) bi-pods is that it is all steel which means it's heavy. Plus, it's not the most compact bi-pod even when folded. (The base also serves as a hand stop and has a sling swivel.)

I would stay away from B-Square's bi-pod. The legs don't lock in the down (or up) position. If you're following a target that happens to move left or right and you twist your rifle on the bi-pod, the leg that you are twisting into could callapse. Although Harris bi-pods work well, I don't care for the way they look (as compared to the P-H). Those exposed springs and that lockdown bolt.

- Ron V.

Schmit

Staff Alumnus
Rob,

Some good advise here....

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>try using those mil dots for rangefinding sometime[/quote]

DAH Huh ;)

I also have a Parker-Hale on my ittle old rifle and love it. I've tried rifles with Harris bi-pods and agree with HKSigWalter. Never tried a Versa-Pod or B-Squares bi-pods.

Now... the big questiond... at what range are you going to zero your rifle in at?

------------------
Schmit
GySgt, USMC(Ret)
NRA Life, Lodge 1201-UOSSS
"Si vis Pacem Para Bellum"

Rob Pincus

Mil-Dots can be used for rangefinding? I thought you were supposed to use them to cover up distracting things in your sight picture (like open copies of playboy, etc...). :rolleyes: ....

On Bipods:

The trick for me is finding that little adapter, I have a couple bipods int he inventory already that might work well.. but I can't find anyone with an adapter for the European rail.

On double triggers and handloads:

I originally ordered the double trigger, then changed it after much consultation. This is going to be a working rifle, and the double trigger brings liability questions... also, I heard from several sources that the reach to the front trigger is a bit of a stretch....

The handloads are straight out for me, again for liability reasons.

On Zeroing:

The entire city I work in is 9.6 square miles... rather densely populated and we have a lot of elavation changes. Given the lack of open terain, the abundance of cover/concelament to manuver around and set up behind and the prevaling wisdom of distances of LEO sniper shots, I'd be foolish not to go with the 100 yard zero. I think.... your opinions are certainly welcome.

I may have a little more adjusting to do at schools that concentrate on shots out to 600+ yards, but I'd rather have the rifle set perfectly for the much more likely close shot.

------------------
-Essayons

gunmart

rob.my gunsmith can install the adapter for the parker hale directly into the front of the stock.you might also try accuracy international.i think they are still in oak ridge and they have a one thousand yard range.

Dave Finfrock

The Versa-Pod may look like a P-H, but it isn't. The P-H is probably overpriced, but it is much better than the Versa-Pod. There supposedly is a P-H clone (can't recall the name) that does approach it in quality. If I recall correctly, it was about $150.

Schmit

Staff Alumnus
I'm in a little more open area and have mine set up for a 300 yards zero. However, during hunting season I click in a 200 yard zero (without changing the zero zero... just changing where the target knobs sit).

Now with the Cross hairs set to coinside with the trajectory of the bullet impact @ 200 yard that puts my 100 yard "zero" right at the bottom of the first mildot above the cross hair. 300 yard? Oh... the first mildot below the cross hair of course.

Sooooo to recap you may want to set up for a 200 yard zero. That and the MilDots will give you precise aiming points @ 100, 200 & 300 yards. Remember, city blocks can be fairly long. It will also means less clicking if you have to shoot at >200.

Just a thought.

------------------
Schmit
GySgt, USMC(Ret)
NRA Life, Lodge 1201-UOSSS
"Si vis Pacem Para Bellum"

Rex Feral

Schmit-

Don't forget that Rob is using a variable scope w/mil dots, so your method would only work at one power setting. It'd be easy to forget your power setting when the bullets are gonna fly for real and really blow the shot. As a military sniper that could get you killed, as a LEO sharpshooter that could make you wish you HAD been killed if you zap a hostage.

------------------
Cry "Havoc!" and let slip the dogs of war.

[This message has been edited by Rex Feral (edited March 12, 2000).]

Schmit

Staff Alumnus
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Rex Feral:
Don't forget that Rob is using a variable scope w/mil dots[/quote]

Damn, thats right... he got one of the MilDot Variables that has the dots on the incorrect focal plane.

Rob... disregard what I said. That technique is reserved for fixed scopes or correctly manufactured variables. :eek:

Rob Pincus

Well, I'm glad you guys hashed that out without me around..... ;).

Hey, Ed.... 'tis I, formerly (and occassionally Formally) Rob from Nashville.
LOL, I never even noticed it was you making the smart-ass comments!!
Glad to see ya here.. I heard that AZ was a blast and that you are planning on visiting Rich and I in April ?? Email me to confirm!
AND- See if you can find me a rail adapter for a Harris BP in the mean time, maybe you can send me one with those AR parts. I'll get you a CC# if you can find me something.

Schmit,

While anything is possible, I'd rather be spot on for the incredibly more likley 100 yard shot than have an easier time adjusting for the longer ones.

Truth is, the chances of them officially putting my on the Team within the next 12 months are slim, so I have plenty of time to work with the rifle... seniority still counts at least a little. The good news is that I am going to school in a few months and the certification should help grease the wheels at the PD.

------------------
-Essayons

gunmart

rob call gsi in trussville al.they distribute styer products and should have the adapter.i think rocky could rebed you an american rail or we could send it out to mcmillian bros for the american rail.i think that would be your best bet.

Rob Pincus

Ed, how often have you known me to send off a gun I wanted to keep??? Remember that I am now 750 miles away from you and Rocky.....

GSI is out of stock, last time I talked to them.

Email is bronze@visuallink.com