finally......pistol deer..10MM

bamaranger

I have long desired to take a deer with a handgun. I read a lot of Bob MILEK and Ross SEYFRIED as a kid and over the years and that created an interest in handgun hunting. I took some small game but never a deer, primarily because I never dedicated the time. Bowhunting deer (and gunning spring gobblers) became my passion and on the occasion when I carried a handgun on a deer hunt, Bambi never showed up. I decided that this year, before my eyes got any worse, or my mobility slipped, I would take a deer with a handgun.

But what handgun? Logical choice would be a magnum revolver, and I have both .44 and .357 from which to choose. But in my noggin' I got the idea that I would hunt with a 10mm Auto. My Glock 20 initially was the choice, but as I worked with it I realized two things: 1) despite a rear sight blade change a few years back, the dang thing was still shooting high and 2) Despite a Ghost 2.5 connector, I really didn't care for the trigger pull for accurate work past 15 yds or so. But I had a 10mm Auto with a fair trigger (better than the Glock anyhow) and good sights......a RIA 1911!

I'd purchased the RIA 10mm about a little over a year ago and had sent it off for a set of decent "retro" sights and filed the tall front down to a precise zero at 25 yds with a 180 gr bullet, the slug landing right on top of the post. My handload with the Hornady XTP/180 just made 1200 fps with a max charge of 2400 pulled from an old RCBS manual. At the distances I planned to shoot (bow range) I figured I had enough gun.

Early December I found a white oak saddle that had a lot of feed sign on it.
I'd had success there before with the bow, but this time I would sally forth with the pistol. Things being like they can be, I arrived a bit late, and was not in place 'till after 3:00 PM. After climbing with the stand to about 20 ft plus, I fastened the seat and settled in....and looked up to see a deer coming in about 50 yds out! Then the circus began.....

To adequately see the front sight, I had a set of reading glasses on a lanyard around my neck. I also had a set o f horseshoe type (like hickock45) orange hearing plugs on top of my head. So the drill was, get the plugs in, glasses to the end of my nose like the town librarian and draw pistol. Watch the deer work in to shooting range, then slide the glasses up my nose to shoot. Put the glasses in place to early and I could loose sight of the deer as things went fuzzy at distance. But I managed it all and the doe worked in to 15 yds, I lined it up.......and missed. :eek::eek: I dunno, I guess I mashed the trigger. She wasn't totally broad side, more quartering to, and I shot in front of her is the only explanation. Anyhow, she ran off 100 yds in the open timber, stopped, and blew and blew! Huh?

Disappointed, but more than one deer left all this sign, so I stayed put. At near dark an hour later, 3 more came in. The plugs, glasses, pistol routine happens again, and this doe stops also quartering at about 20 yds. I make DANG sure this time I manage the trigger properly. Through the muzzle flash I see her go down hard.......well that's that. I climb down carefully to avoid mishap though excited and in a couple of minutes behold my pistol deer!

Autopsy later yields that the bullet entered where the neck joins the shoulder, clipped the spine, entered the very upper front of the chest cavity, descending sharply to exit same, on the off side, breaking the opposite foreleg just where it joins the body. There, caught by the hide, I recovered the XTP, intact, mushroomed, and none the worse for striking spine and foreleg bones. Weight of the recovered slug was 163 grains or if my math is correct, 90 percent. The XTP performed admirably, and so did the budget 1911, once I handled it correctly.

So, that box is checked. I've since put a 6" bbl on the Glock and a micro-red dot, no more librarian glasses. Even with the notchy trigger, at 25 yds, the Glock will plunk five of the big 200 gr slugs into circle about as big as the mouth of a coffee cup. I've not chronographed the 200's from the 6" Glock but suspect they will run near 1200 as well. Carried it just last afternoon and passed up a doe!

Last edited:

JohnKSa

Administrator
Congratulations!

It would be interesting to see statistics on cartridges/firearms used to kill deer in the U.S. I figure that there's a reasonable chance you were the only person who killed a deer that day with a 10mm 1911 pistol.

bamaranger

Statistics & SEYFRIED

When one checks a deer digitally with Alabama's on line game check system, a required entry is weapon type, and there is a block for handgun, so I suppose it would be possible to check Al records for handgun kills on that date. Who knew I might be a celebrity!!!!!

Ross SEYFRIED would have approved of my use of the iron sighted 1911. Another handgun I have because of a Seyfried article is a .44 Mtn Gun 629, in fact I have the very article clipped from the copy of Guns & Ammo in which I learned about same (about 1985 or so). Regrettably I read today that Ross is gone to the big safari above. I sure liked his material.

Ross likely would not have approved of my extended barrel, dot equipped Glock. He liked "tidy" (he used that word a lot) iron sighted handguns that were easy to carry. Bob MILEK would likely have a "dot Glock" himself. The dot lets me shoot , if I do things right, like I did 25 years ago. My dot Glock is improvised with a mounting plate and an older JP dot, but has held up now for about 200 rds. We will see.

Though I have a lot of deer rifles, and do take deer with with all manner of long guns, I'm still a bowhunter at heart. I rarely shoot past 20 yds and can still use my climbing stands and get opportunities with the bow. But on days when it's cold enough that I'm layered up in clothing and feel I cannot shoot the bow well enough to be ethical, I might just start carrying the dot Glock.

Jim Watson

There was a guy in the Hartselle club with similar background. With bowhunting experience, he knew his ranges and he knew his abilities; and he was a good pistol shot. He hunted deer successfully with a .45 auto and various premium 230 gr JHP.

MarkCO

Nice.

I enjoy Deer hunting with my 10mm handguns. A Cow Elk at 80 yards is probably one of my better shots. She went straight down. The 180 grain XTP entered just behind the front leg/ Through the lung, clipped the top of the heart and went through other lung and exited.

bamaranger

elk

The 180 XTP seems a much stouter bullet than I initially believed it would be and a pass thru on a cow elk is more confirmation. Despite that, it seems to expand satisfactorily. As I mentioned, my RIA 10mm is zeroed to that bullet, it's 5" bbl driving the bullet to right at 1200 fps. The wound track on my deer was .....convincing.

I am impressed with the RIA 1911a1 10mm as well. I purchased that gun in the midst of the covid mess at a price LOWER than what the comparable .45 model was ticketed, out the door for less than $450. Round count is low, 500 or so, but it has been reliable thus far once I ironed out a pre-lock issue. The Harrison Consulting retro sights were a good addition. I have only ever seen that gun for sale new at Rural King.

Coming back to the season and the hunt, it has been a good mast crop year here in N. Alabama. Deer are still moving between the open hardwoods and pine stands or cutover using established travel routes and are pretty predictable. I'm seeing deer consistently and the rut is starting, pre rut activity is high. I should start seeing some good antlered deer soon. I've held off this week, not hunted hard, as the holiday crowd will be in the woods and every guy with an orange hat and a gun will be out. Schools are closed too, a lot of teens hunting. Bamawife appreciates me staying around a bit too. The state land near home will not have a gun hunt 'till mid January, but is open to archery and I will slip over there just to avoid pressure. No 10mm though, bow only!

stagpanther

bow only!
Good luck--I don't know if it's allowed here but I would love reading your bow hunt stories as well. I have a bowtech carbon knight which I've tried hunting with (I ground hunt only, don't do stands), got relatively close a couple of times but just didn't have confidence in a good shot so didn't let the arrow fly. Even have some "primitive" wood bows--amazing fun.