Finally loaded on my Dillon 650

AzShooter

I've been loading on a Dillon 550 for years. Recently had an accident with a double charge. One in over 200,000 rounds. But it destroyed my gun and scared me!

I bought a 650 because it has the auto indexing feature and should eliminate any chance of a double charge.

Today I went into the garage and loaded 500 rounds at a nice even pace. I know I can go faster but sitting in a wheel chair does not make for the best technique. I ordered a new stool today.

I'm loading Bayou Bullets. 135 grains with VhitaVhouri N320. After testing with my chronograph I came to find 3.2 grains will make minor (out of my gun).

I love the consistency from the press. Powder is withing +- .02 grains and OAL is about the same which translates into very accurate loads.

I wish I would have switched to the 650 years agol

COSteve

I ran 70,000+ rds through my 550B and it's a great machine . . . . . , however, as I handloaded more and more necked rifle calibers that require 2 passes (a case prep and then a reloading) I got really tired of placing a piece of brass in the machine each time and breaking my rhythm. That's the real reason I sold my 550B setup and got an XL650 with casefeeder.

With a casefeeder and a trimmer on my case prep toolhead, I can decap, resize, and trim 1,000 pieces of brass in only an hour, all without ever touching a single piece of brass. That, by itself, is worth the added cost of the XL650 and casefeeder to me.

Now some 100,000rds later my only regret was waiting so long.

Vance

D-Terminator Electronic Scale
Stock Number: 10483

Specifications

900 grain/57 gram capacity
Accurate to0.1 grain/0.01 gram
Uses four AA batteries (included)
Comes with its own AC adapter
Calibration weight included
Stainless steel powder pan included

Accurate to 1 tenth of a grain or 1 hundredth of a gram.
So did you really claim 0.02 grain accuracy of your loads? That would be 2 hundredths.

jmorris

I use a Dillon electronic scale. Very accurate.

I too have a Dillon and it only displays to the tenth of a grain (.1).

One can throw ten charges and have an average to the hundredth but an average is not necessarily indicative of accuracy.

DaleA

Does your new system include the Dillon powder check system?

Does the Dillon 650 even have or need the Dillon powder check system?

Also hope there was no injury to you.

Vance

Dillons powder check system which is an option and not included with the XL650 installs in station #3. I have no problem keeping an eye on powder level in the cases without the powder check system. I did put an LED flashlight in the center hole of the toolhead and that illuminates the shell plate and cases nicely.