FINALLY Jumped on the AR Bandwagon

Was never really into the AR platform. Great rifle, Jack of all trades, etc. I've always been a fan of old Mil-surps. So, that's where my extra money went first. (OK, OK, it went to 1911s, too).

What pushed me over the edge? The better half has been hot-to-trot to have one and I love to tinker. My LGS was advertising the Del-Ton Sport for $600ish. The clerk coaxed us into considering a used Sierra 316/MOE for $600 OTD. I'm not a fan of buying used modern guns. But he told us they went through the rifle with a fine tooth comb and was convinced the previous owner must have fired it once, if at all. There's just hardly any wear anywhere on the rifle.

On top of that, they had a used EOTech EXPS3 in near MINT condition for $350. I jumped on that like a pack of dogs on a 3 legged cat. They also had the G33 Magnifier, used in same condition, for $350. But I had to pass.

So, now it's time to find a good instruction manual on tearing it down, cleaning procedures, mods, tools needed, etc...

10-96

Shane, with all the info on here I won't bore you with all the recommendations of RRA triggers and such as it goes. I'll just say, "Congratulations" and "Hold on to your hat - the ride just started." :p

skizzums

1:9 twist....your killn' me man. Honestly though, I am thinking I want to do the same. other thn my "alternative" calibered "pistols", I have no AR with a red-dot or "tactical" reticled scope. I was looking at the Burris 3x prism(AR-332) at academy, looks really col, but couldn't figure anything I would use it for. So after building my step-dad a rifle yesterday and putting a low-mag scope on it, we went out, in the dark and pouring rain to test the function.... illuminiated reticle, hi-power flashlight hangin off the side, long aluminum vertical grip and a bi-pod, and we had a blast doing mag dumps on pieces of fruit, wood, tennis balls, some targets stuck to trees.....it was a lot of fun. when the rain got too much, we just sat in the 4-wheeler(roofed) and set the bi-pod on the dash.

Anyways, that long story is going somewhere, I am always working so hard to make my long range groups as best as possible, nothing but hi-powered traditional scopes and bi-pods, essentially useless for just having fun. So I have decided to find a new solid barrel for long range stuff, hopefully a 1:7 if I can find one that meets my specs, and dedicate my polymer lowered to a fast twist 1:9 so I can have an AR to actually have fun with. my .223 ar's would be useless in the forest like we were in last night. I wanna play with EOtechs and vertical grips too, sometimes, and cheaper light super fast bullets would be a lot more fun for just toying around with opportunistic targets, and it ould be great to not always be concerned with measure groups to hunderth of an inch after every five shots.

have gun, good time to get into AR's, lots of junk out there for really cheap

marine6680

1/9 twist is good for most people.

It works well for the most common weight bullets used in ARs, 50-62gr, and can be used with some 69gr, though they may not be very good for groups at range. They may be a bit unstable past 100yds or so.

General plinking and fun, it is hard to beat an AR... At least in centerfire.

Mobuck

"1/9 twist is good for most people"

Some folks lose sight of the fact that barrel length has some bearing on the results from 1-9 twist with heavier bullets. I have a 20" H-Bar 1-9 that delivers it's best accuracy (and holds this level past 350 yards) with Privi 69 grain HPBT ammo. The increased velocity from the 20" is just enough to make the difference.
I do most of my AR shooting at varmints/furbearers and use primarily 50-55 grain bullets. 1-9 works as well as 1-7 for this and maybe better with the thin jacketed varmint bullets.

Ibmikey

Shane, Del Ton makes a really nice rifle with good quality parts and will serve you a long time. My Del Ton is a constant companion when i head out to shoot and will hold it's own against my Colt's or DD carbine for killing soda cans rocks and dirt clods. Enjoy and "keep it light" and agile.

9x19

Welcome aboard, my 16" 7.62x39 upper should arrive today, combined with a new lower from PSA, that will bring me up to seven. A small number to many, but about right for me. :D

I haven't spent more than $600 on any single one, and they all perform quite well for me.

*Note: I am fortunate to have avoided the bench-rest affliction, and my results may cause seizures in any suffering from that disease.

10-96 said:
Shane, with all the info on here I won't bore you with all the recommendations of RRA triggers and such as it goes.

Ain't gonna bore me any providing recommendations. I know they're all over the net as well as TFL. But it still wouldn't hurt to share anything you'd like for mods...ESPECIALLY triggers. Just about every modern gun I have has trigger work of some kind. For me, that's where it all begins...

I'm not hell bent on changing the barrel out. The major reason is to provide the heaviest reasonable bullet if she opts to go with making this her home defense weapon. I've been receiving some input that 62-69gr bullets would hold its own. Also, I haven't researched much, but I'm not sure there's much choice in factory ammo using 77gr bullets. I won't reload ammo for SD. So, I think the best thing to do is buy a variety of popular ammo and test 'em for myself.

9x19, as much as I love to load for benchrest, I don't think I will be for this AR. I understand the AR platform can hold its own. But I like to play with bolt guns for precision work.

Capt. Charlie

Moderator Emeritus
Congrats Shane! Now move over and make room for me on that wagon :D I've wanted one ever since the mid-60's, but it didn't happen until a few months ago.

I bought an AR built by Windham Weaponry (same folks that originally founded Bushmaster). It came with a factory mounted red dot and magnifier, and several other goodies. I absolutely love this thing!

I don't reload 5.56/223 either. There's a ton of quality ammo available at very reasonable prices, so that reloading is more of a pain than it's worth.

rickyrick

Funny, I used 1:9 for years, unwittingly doing it all wrong.

I was a bit perplexed one time that I was in the gun department of a sporting goods store and this guy was looking at a reasonably priced AR15. When he found out it wasn't 1:7 he got a look on his face like he had just found out that his firstborn son had been fathered by the mailman; he then handed the rifle back to the salesman in disgust and I felt he needed a sanitary wipe for his hands. This was during a time that an AR15 was a rare find in a gun rack.

Sometime after that, I found out from the internet, that no serious rifleman would consider using a 1:9.

I have a trifecta of twist rates now. 1:9, 1:8, 1:7x2. I'm not a bad shot, but I can't tell the difference in leisurely shooting.

The 1:9 is a mini14 and it excels with 35-55gr premium ammo.

Tom C.

I confess I am a recent convert to the church of the AR-15. I first fired one about 40 yrs. ago while in the service, but didn't get one until last year. I have had one built by a friend and built a couple myself. All mine have 8" twists. I enjoy testing various ammo and I find they are all very happy with my handloads with 77 gr. Sierras and they are doing pretty well with cheap 55 gr. stuff.

I have an old Mini-14 that was rebarreled years ago with a 9" twist barrel. It shoots lighter stuff fine. I tried the 77 gr. Sierra loads just to see what it would do. They printed a nice tight group, but looking at the holes the bullets were in a bit of a yaw due to under stabilization, so I will stick to the 69 gr. and lighter bullets with this one.

I'm having fun. If you are having fun, that is all that matters.

Capt. Charlie, they made room for me. I'm sure there will ALWAYS be room for one more...

9x19, the RRA and the Geissele triggers are what I was considering. Seeing it from a price point, I think you're right...

rickyrick

I avoided ARs like the plague, I kinda had the been-there-done that attitude towards them.

Did my first one, within a few months they bred and now there's three in the safe.

I'd still be getting them, but I really need a new stove and a 4x4, do I'm saving my money for now.

On the EXPS3, you should be aware SOCOM issued a safety message regarding problems with zero shift and parallax at extreme temperatures. It is likely something you won't encounter; but probably good to be aware of it if you get a weird zero shift.

I've got both the RRA and the Geiselle triggers; both are nice triggers but I'd give the nod to the Geiselle for both quality and durability.

chadio

XCMC91503.jpg

Nothing but pleased with this in my LMT :cool:

10-96

For the price point, I've always been very satisfied with the RRA Regular or Varmint triggers. I really like the old CMMG adjustables, but I talked to a guy there who said they had to take the adjusting screws out of them because of reliability (liability?) issues. I installed one for an Officer in my dept, and cant tell the difference in the feel between it and an RRA Match.