Finally joined the wheel gun crowd

David the Gnome

I finally bought what I would consider a real wheel gun. I've had a M1985 Nagant that I bought when I first got my C&R license but I've never shot it or owned ammunition for it so I don't really count it. I've been wanting a nice powerful and reliable hand gun for the range and home defense, so I picked up this 4" Stainless Ruger GP100 today from Bud's:

gp100small02sk2.jpg

gp100small03te5.jpg

gp100small04so2.jpg

It was surprisingly very difficult to get a decent picture of this thing. I've never owned such a large and flashy gun before :p. I had to move it into the shade to get a decent picture of it.

MLeake

Just beware,

You can't take that nice GP-100 on any of your travelocity.com purchased flights... at least not in the cabin.

Sorry, couldn't resist what with the gnome thing and all...

Seriously, though, my first centerfire handgun was a dead ringer for your GP. Great gun. I preferred the red front insert sight on it, myself. Accurate, minimal recoil, and just an all around good revolver. You will enjoy it.

BTW, Hogue makes a fingergroove monogrip for it, if you like those. Saw some pics posted on one of the posts here, but can't remember the thread.

Neophyte1

Gp100

You will enjoy the GP100 for the rest of your life.:) Well balanced and looking good with plenty of banging to go.:)

The Ruger GP100 should be in the gun collection of everyone that actually goes to the range or camping.

I just wish I had bought the 4" version when I bought mine. Instead I bought the 6" version. It is great at the range but not really versatile enough for carrying.

With the 4" you have a very versatile and capable gun.

Tom2

Glad that the grotesque monstrosity of a Russian revolver did not put you off of them, overall. The Ruger is a good starting point for getting into wheel guns and as long as you stick to US name brands, you usually will be happy with the gun. You can still buy oddballs like the Russian conscript persuader that you have, but just as collectables/novelties! You might even go nuts and get some kind of cowboy revolver. That entails adding expensive leather rigs and fancy trail duds so you can compete with the CAS crowd but can be a blast if you are into that. If you want to reload and save money, it can be a bit easier to get working ammo from revolver brass. Well, no jams to worry about.

David the Gnome

I shot it for the first time today and had a blast. It was quite a handful with the .357 Magnums in there. It was a real softy with the .38 Specials however. It also shot the best group I've shot with any handgun thus far. :D

Johnrobe

I got one this past Christmas. I see our serial #'s are pretty close.

I recommend going over to the Ruger forum (www.rugerforum.com) and sending Iowegan a PM asking for a copy of the IBOK (Iowegan Book of Knowledge). There's a wealth of good info in it. IIRC he is a retired gunsmith who spent many years working on GP100's.

I replaced the stock front sight with an orange Millett (not in this picture) and replaced the springs with some from Wilson Combat that are 25% lighter.

gp100011.jpg