FINALLY! I cleared a round of wobble trap!

Friends and I went shotgunning yesterday. We started off with sporting clays. Lots of fun, but annoying when you only get 29 of 50. Still, better than 50%, so I'm happy.

We then decided to shoot a round of wobble trap. I've always been very good at it, but this time, for the first time, I went 25 for 25.

All of that after not having shot a shotgun in over a year.

Needless to say, I'm happy as all get out.

Plus, I came home from my poker game last night up by $3.50.

A good day all around!

fairview mick

MIKE clearing wobble trap

Excellent job. i've 100 straight many times on the regular trap field, but never had a 25 on the wobble. Even had a 99 on handicap from the 25&1/2. And 2 98's at the Grand at handicap. Once a 24 on the wobble when I was "Unconcious"

Mal H

Staff
Yep, Mike had a great round - doesn't get any better than that! He had several TFL witnesses to the feat.

The funny thing is that it was with a rental O/U. It seems the range we go to had changed the barrel length rules, so Mike couldn't use the shotgun he brought with him. That makes it even more amazing.

Mal H

Staff
No barrel shorter than 23" allowed. That rule or a similar one is fairly common at shotgun ranges. It's just that the one we go to had never had the rule before.

The rule is more for safety purposes than anything else, although I'm sure there are some other reasons (snobbery, keep the riot guns on the streets where they belong, unfair pattern, etc.) If a barrel is too short, it is possible to swing it past the frames used in sporting clays, etc.

Maybe they didn't much like it when I used my Smith & Wesson 18.5" police gun to do 2 consecutive 24s on wobble trap 2 summers ago.

I've run into the attitude before...

Obnoxious ahole "You can't shoot that thing here!"

Me "Is there a range rule against it?"

OAH "No, but you can't shoot that thing here!"

Me "Watch me, or go away. Just shut the hell up."

bdarin

I usually shoot in the 20-23 range in trap with my Rem 1100/32" full choke barrel. For some strange reason I shoot better when I'm slightly hung over from the night before. Go figure:p :cool:

Daily Fred

What a fantastic showing!

$3.50!

We'll be watching you play poker on TV pretty soon! :D

No really, congrats on the wobble score, very good.

jrfoxx

Ok, I've shot skeet, trap, and double trap (all when I was younger), but have to ask what the heck "wobble trap" is? Never heard of it....

Wobble is shot from a 5 stand "pyramid," with the shooter in the center (no 3) being at the top of the pyramid.

Under the No. 3 position is a wobble trap device. It throws the clays and I guess through use of an eccentric gearing mechanism "wobbles" to a new position for the next throw.

You can have a high throw to the right followed immediately by a low throw to the left.

Each shooter shoots 5 shots from each station in succession. The first shot is a single, the next 4 are report pairs.

Not sure if I explained that adequately so...

Order of fire is:

1 shoots 1

2 shoots 1

3 shoots 1

4 shoots 1

5 shoots 1

1 shoots report double

2 shoots report double down to shooter No. 5, then the doubles repeat.

After each shooter has shot 5 rounds, each shooter moves to the next position (1 goes to 2, 2 to 3, etc.). The shooter in position 5 moves to position 1.

It's a lot of fun.

What's really funny is that the first time I shot this was about 3 years ago. At that point I hadn't touched a shotgun for clay sports in almost (or more than) 10 years.

My first two rounds of wobble at that point were 23s. My third round that day was a 20, but I was getting beaten pretty badly from recoil.

I keep telling myself that I'm going to finally start shooting wobble regularly, but I never do.

Striker,

Yes, Bull Run.

They really need another wobble trap field as it is very popular, but apparently the wobble trap devices are obscenely expensive.