Finally - I can start this project

DennisCA

I bought a Sporterized Remington 1903a3 a couple of years ago:
wc1i.jpg

It has been my intention from day one to put it back to milspec (or as close as I can get it). Well all the pieces have come together! :D
I got a parts kit from SARCO, Inc:
http://www.e-sarcoinc.com/03a3bandandhardwaresetcomplete.aspx

And picked up a stock w/hand guards, the other day:
MFkPOW.jpg

:cool:
5kadjM.jpg

Yes it is a new and unfinished stock but after the last fiasco I had on flea-bay with a "used" stock. if figured this was the best bet!

Total Cost:
Parts Kit - $55.00 ($49.95 + shipping)
Stock - $185.00 (free shipping)

I paid $400 for the 1903a3 a couple of years ago, so still not a bad investment. Now I just have to find time to do this project.
I also think I'll invest in a dermel (I was going to get one anyways) because it is most likely going to need a bit of sanding and I hate sanding by hate sanding by hand! :mad:

DavidAGO

It does look like a neat project, I wish you success with it. AS far as the dremel, resist the impulse to get one. if you try to do a lot of sanding with it, I can almost guarantee you that you will have to spend a lot more time with sandpaper by hand fixing all the gouges and sanding marks the dremel will leave on the wood. A nice assortment of wood rasps and shapers will be slower, but much better in the long run.

David

Huffmanite

Use a Dremel myself when I make a stock. Useful when inletting and doing some minor shaping of stock. But as mentioned, be very careful with it if used.

I too, dislike sanding by hand, but do a lot of it when working on a stock. Be sure to always use a block with the paper. I keep a small assortment of blocks with different shapes to do sanding. Also, one of the small "mouse" power sanders, such as made by Black & Decker is quite useful to me when working on a stock.

Came home a few years ago with a sporterized 1903 Springfield with a 1923 barrel on it. Original stock had been cut and altered, but none of the barreled action had been altered. I too, decided to restore the rifle to original military condition. Ended up buying a replica 1903 stock similiar to what you got, but bought mine from Boyd's, who may make ones sold by Numrich, but not sure of this. Anyway, found Boyd inletting pretty decent, not needing much work. However, recall spending a fair amount of time getting the external wood of stock sanded to correct dimensions necessary to install any metal hardware. But, when I'd finished the work, rifle looked quite good.

Good luck with yours. Just take your time, do not rush it.

10-96

It's not very 'original' but when I went your route with a Eddystone 1917, I just used plain old tung oil and didn't use any stain at all. That thing really pops!

Edit: Have you thought about putting the rifle project on hold to devote time to your roof? Seems that having pinecones falling onto your mantle can't be a good thing....:p

Skadoosh

From what I can see, that looks like a pretty nice sporter. I went looking for one with the intent of doing the same, but decided not to do it when I found a really well-done sporter. Nice 1950's-era sporterized '03's are under/unappreciated IMHO. Just sayin'...

img_6010.jpg

tahunua001

I just use BLO but that is a very blonde stock. I hear tung oil goes on just a little darker and keeps it's sheen longer, might not be a bad route to go. just out of curiosity, was that the only stock style sarco had or did you go with the C style for a reason? just curious.

tobnpr

VERY nice...

I've been wanting to build one of them for years, gotta get off my azz and get one of the receivers before they're gone.

Lots of good info from CMP on original finishes, here:

http://thecmp.org/training-tech/armorers-corner/wood-cleaning-article/

Curious, it's obvious the stock was bubba'd, but what else is not correct that required you to purchase the full kit?

Is the lower handguard one piece with the main body of the stock, or is it spliced?

I've been asked to dupe mil stocks, but commercially available blanks just aren't available that long. I see Sarco has since sold out of them.

Keep us posted on the "recovery".