Finally got the Blackhawk .45LC!

overkill556x45

Picture+002.jpg

AND I LOVE IT!
I have all the tacti-cool stuff to remind me of my "saving the world" days, but I like this more. I loaded 100rds of nickel brass with 50 250gr LRNFP's (seen above) and 50 200gr LSWCs over WW231 (CCI LP primers). Man is it a hoot hear that thing go "KABOOM"! The recoil is fun, the ammo is EASY to load (and cheap-ish) and I can actually hunt with it, should the mood strike me. This thing is accurate! I can't believe I went this long without one. The recoil is enough to let you know an ashtray just went barreling downrange, but not enough--even for long days of shooting--to beat on you. The sights are good and were dead on right out of the box. I think I'll add some Allis Chalmers orange model paint to the front blade.

My only complaints are the grips and the hammer spring. The grips kinda claw at my hands, especially at the bottom of the frame. No biggie though, just annoying when shooting a lot.The extra-sharp checkering actually helps a lot when shooting with gloves on, so I may not swap them out. But a pair of black pearlite grips would look real pretty on there I think.

The hammer seems a bit oversprung. It feels like its got a leaf spring from a '79 F-350 under there. I can keep the muzzle from diving if I pay attention (read: a lot of the time), but I'd rather reduce the tension and not have to worry about it. So I've got a wilson combat spring tune kit on the way.

I have a leather single-loop holster on the way. I'm thinking about a ten gallon hat and a cartridge belt....:D

zxcvbob

Take the grips off, and you'll see that there are *two* truck leaf springs in there. Lift one of the springs off its pin and let it float, and this will lighten the trigger really nice.

I like to use Red Dot powder for medium-to-heavy .45 Colt loads, and Herco or Blue Dot for zombie-stomper loads. I haven't tried AA#7 yet, that should be even better than the Blue Dot.

Gun 4 Fun

Congradulations on joining the Colt cult.:D It's a great old round. I own several, and wouldn't be without them. I have some in S&W brand, and a Redhawk. The Redhawk is incredibly strong, and you can fire loads that will make you sit up and pay attention! The blackhawk will handle some pretty impressive loads as well. If you ever want to find out what it'll really do, load some 265 cast slugs over 27 gr. of H-110 with a magnum primer. Oh Yea!! These loads are out of Hodgdens manual and are safe in either the Blackhawk or Redhawk. You'll be getting around 1450 FPS from that 7.5" barrel.:D
I don't have any pictures of my Redhawk to post yet (just got the camera), but here are some of my Smiths.

100_0068.jpg

100_0075.jpg

BradF

SWEET! I am thinking about getting a new SBH, but now a Savage 223 bolt action is calling my name. Decisions, decisions. I wish I had been born rich, instead of so dang good looking, :rolleyes: then I could just get both right now instead of one now and one later in the year.

J.Solo

Try leaving the hammer cocked overnight to relax the main spring.
Then keep it cocked until you can feel the difference when dry firing.

I do this with all my Rugers (sometimes takes a full week) and the main springs always relax a little.

Similar to loading a high cap mag for the first time. Fill it up and let it sit to relax the mag spring so all rounds can be easly loaded into the mag.

Goog Luck - J.Solo

Wleoff

You do understand that with a Blackhawk, Vaquero or Colt SAA, you coil your pinkie under the grip, so the gun will rotate up when you fire. Really. Still with a tight grip. it's just the shape of the plow handle.

The Blackhawk is actually a little stronger than the Redhawk. it's also a little lighter. I use to hunt deer with a Blackhawk in 45 Colt, but now have switched to a Redhawk.

Don't let anyone talk you into shooting 325 Buffalo Bore rounds in the Blackhawk until you get use to it. The gun will take it, but you might develop a flinch. Great gun and round. Try Trail Boss or Titegroup powders.

barryhud

I bought a Blackhawk bisley 45 colt from my son recently. I didn't really want the bisley but it is a perfect gun with a great trigger and I just couldn't resist. I fired it this week and it is very accurate at 25 yards. My first 45 colt, now I am looking at reloading to make the 45 colt, 327 and 204 a little more affordable.

Gun 4 Fun

Wleoff said:
The Blackhawk is actually a little stronger than the Redhawk.
That is incorrect. The cylinder on a Redhawk is noticably thicker than on a Blackhawk. The bolt notches ( usually the weakest link in a revolver) are offset to the side much farther on a Redhawk, with the lead in's facing away from the chamber as opposed to the Blackhawk.
Talk to John linebaugh, the guy who practically wrote the book on the .45.

Read Handloader number 217 June 2002 pg. 39 top of left column.

Read John Taffins book-BIG BORE HANDGUNS pg. 121 left column second paragraph.
They all conclude that the Redhawk is notably stronger than the Blackhawk.
Talk to Hamilton Bowen, David Clements etc., the Redhawk is just incredibly strong. I know some claim that it's not due to the fact that it's a double action. Any other double action and I would agree, but the Redhawk isn't any other double action.

alienbogey

For extra fun run up some loads with blackpowder or blackpowder substitute. Take it out to the range on a busy day...... :D

Even more fun is to use the smoke generating loads when shooting a falling plate type match - wait until you're upwind from your opponent before unveiling the secret weapons...... (may want to wait until it's a friend of yours, too).

Wleoff

Know John Linebaugh, but don't have any book from him. I've met John Tiffin and have all his books. Bowen lives just north from me in Tennessee and build a Redhawk for me in .357. All good people. Lane Pearce, the shooting editor for Shooting Times, is my neighbor.

Never seen a cylinder on either a Blackhawk or a Redhawk blow. Usually the strap goes on top. The Redhawk is a little weaker because the cylinder swings out, where the Blackhawk cylinder is locked in solid metal. There's a little more clearance in front of the forcing cones on most Redhawks compared to Blackhawks. The Blackhawk is lighter because it doesn't have the DA mechanism.

Really, all this is arguing is about decimal places. Both will safely handle "Ruger only" loads. These are a few of the 45 Colts that I still have. Great round.

45Colt01.jpg

Gun 4 Fun

I'm not trying to argue. I'm trying to point out the fact that when I posted the Redhawk is stronger, then you came back with "no it's not", you are incorrect. A lot of new or inexperienced shooters come on here and read this stuff trying to learn, and take what is written as fact. It is our responcibility to post things correctly and factually.
The Blackhwak is safe to 32,000 C.U.P. according to Hodgden (according to Linebaugh's sight, 32,000 P.S.I.), while the Redhawk is safe to 50,000 P.S.I. according to Brian Pearce of Handloader Magazine. All loads were pressure tested loads that were used to determine this.

zxcvbob

The Blackhwak is safe to 32,000 C.U.P. according to Hodgden (according to Linebaugh's sight, 32,000 P.S.I.), while the Redhawk is safe to 50,000 P.S.I. according to Brian Pearce of Handloader Magazine. All loads were pressure tested loads that were used to determine this.

I'm real happy with 25000 psi loads, although I have pushed that (accidently) to about 27000. At these pressures, the .45 Colt will outperform a .44 Magnum. If I wanted to go higher, I'd get a 5-shot custom cylinder, or buy a .454 Casull.

Jim March

There's no such thing as a "new model Vaquero".

All Rugers post-1973 are "new model".

There's such a thing as the "New Vaquero" and NO it's not as strong...it's built on a Colt SAA-sized frame and cylinder.

charleym3

Gee, sorry. I'm normally sensitive to that sort of mis-naming. I didn't have it in front of me to look at. Thanks

Wleoff

March,
Then why are they called "New Vaquero" and "New Model Blackhawk" on the Ruger site?
http://www.ruger-firearms.com/Firearms/FASubType?type=Revolver&subtype=Single Action

The first Vaqueros that I bought in the 1990s have only "Vaquero" on the frames. The New Vaquero that I bought last year new has "New Vaquero." The Blackhawk that I bought in 2008 has "New Model Blackhawk" on the frame.

The New Vaquero is the same size as a Colt SAA and not as strong as the (old) Vaqueros.

zxcvbob

Then why are they called "New Vaquero" and "New Model Blackhawk" on the Ruger site?

Stupidity on Ruger's part. They should have called it something else to avoid confusion. There are New Model old Vaqueros out there that are built on the big Blackhawk frames. I don't know if there are any old model Vacqueros (no transfer bar.)

Gun 4 Fun

What Jim is saying is, the Vaquero is a New Model as are any Blackhawk framed guns made after '73. Therefore there is the Vaquero and the New Vaquero, which is the latest addition smaller framed gun.

fastbolt

Well, notwithstanding the good-natured (hopefully) back & forth exchanges in this thread, congrats to the original poster for discovering the enjoyable world of Single Action Revolvers.

I grew up learning to shoot revolvers and handload using Ruger SA revolvers.

I have a nice blued Ruger Blackhawk Convertible .45 Colt (w/.45 ACP cylinder) 4 5/8" which wears nicely done stag stocks.

I have a very nice 3-screw Ruger Blackhawk Convertible .357 Magnum (w/ 9mm cylinder) 4 5/8" which I bought as a young man. It wears the original wood.

I've owned a number of Ruger revolvers over the years, including models from the Blackhawk, Super Blackhawk, Redhawk & Security/Service/Speed-Six lines.

While I wish I'd kept all of them, I particularly miss a nice 4 5/8" Blackhawk .44 Magnum I let slip away for some reason which eludes me nowadays.

OK, ditto missing a 3-screw .41 Magnum which always impressed me with its inherent accuracy when I was first being taught to do some long-range handgunning. ;)

As far as what to call which model? Well, it might depend with whom you're discussing the subject. If you're going to be calling Ajax, you might consider using their terms ... http://www.ajaxgrips.com/ajax/default?set=27

SA revolvers are really the only handguns which stir my interest for pleasurable leisure shooting experiences and that pride-of-ownership feeling. The rest of them have mostly become 'working tools' from my perspective.

Granted, I do enjoy the occasional range session with an older Ruger Standard .22 pistol I inherited as a young man, and a stainless MKII. ;)