Finally Got the 20" AR out to the Range

Dragline45

Finally got the new AR out to the range. This is my first experience with a 20" barrel and a rifle length gas system and cant believe how smooth it shoots compared to my 14.5" mid length, which in itself is a very smooth shooter. Coupled with the Gamma 556 brake this rifle shot extremely flat and I was able to keep nice groupings in rapid fire. Being the same size as an A2 flash hider I was surprised at how effective the Gamma was compared to large brakes like the Surefire that I have tried. I live in MA and we cant have flash hiders, so its brakes and comps only otherwise just a bare muzzle. I was worried the open port brake would have excessive blast, but it was no worse than my 14.5" with a Battlecomp due to the longer barrel. Once I get some more range time with the irons I am going to throw a 1-4x scope on top and see what it can do at longer ranges.

210ayb9.jpg

Last edited:

FrankenMauser

Enjoy.

And, yep.
Longer gas systems feel much better.
My last three .223-family builds have all had 20" barrels and rifle gas.

I had a few family members that didn't believe me when I told them you can feel the difference, even between carbine and mid-length gas systems. Every one of them was enlightened (or proven wrong) when I had them shoot otherwise-identical 16" uppers - one with carbine gas, one with mid-length - back-to-back with the same ammunition and identical lowers.
After that, there was no more talk of carbine gas systems in my family. :p

MagnumWill

I also enjoy shooting my 20" over my other ARs. With a 3X scope it currently prints around 2.5MOA, and that's without a free float hand guard and just shooting PMC Bronze. Definitely my favorite length. I'm also thinking about going to a fixed stock like yours.

Road_Clam

Now your all set out to 600 yds. 75% of my precision shooting is done with my rifle length AR's. Most of my shooting is 200 meters out to 600 yds. The 20" rifle length is the way to go for a "do all" platform.

Technosavant

SDF880 said:
I'm thinking of a 20" myself and seeing this gets my gears turning!

DOITDOITDOITDOITDOITDOIT

:D

I made a 20" government style A2 a few years ago. I don't shoot it a whole ton, but boy does it feel nice and it shoots well. A very different feel from the shorter guns that are popular right now- nothing against those, but folks might scoff at the "older" style. They just feel so nice to shoot.

smee78

That looks like a nice build, I also wanted to build a 20" but haven't yet. I did build a 24" but haven't been out to shoot it yet.:eek:

SDF880

Technosavant - Not going to have to twist my arm hard I love the "old style" look! Can't wait to get this going!!!

Road_Clam

I've been shooting a 24" Bushy varmint for the past 5 years out to 600 yds with outstanding sucess. Now that iv'e accumulated a lot more reloading data using my 20" service rifle i have come to realize there is no measurable advantage of the longer 24" barrel for my distances. The only negitive about my 24" bbl AR is the facts its very long OAL ( i prefer A2 fixed buttstocks). I have a small trunk in my Civic so transporting long rifles and gear can be a PIA. I recently removed my 24" bbl and built a quad railed 20" rifle length upper. So now i have both a 20" NRA legal A3/4 match service rifle, and a 20" railed upper.

Hunter Customs

I made a 20" government style A2 a few years ago. I don't shoot it a whole ton, but boy does it feel nice and it shoots well. A very different feel from the shorter guns that are popular right now- nothing against those, but folks might scoff at the "older" style. They just feel so nice to shoot.

I built up an AR with 20inch H-Bar barrel, A2 flash hider, rifle gas system, A2 stock, free float hand guard.
It's scoped with a SWFA fixed 6 power, mill reticle, mill-rad turrets, using factory FMJ ammo I can bang an 8 inch plate at 300 yards consistently.
I love this rifle.

Best Regards
Bob Hunter