Finally got my CZ 550... Sorta.

Venom1956

Well after months of struggling to secure one of the last 550 varmints first the purchase was delayed because of a inventory mistake then another few weeks wasted on another online purchaser constantly raising the price to a massive 1200 dollars. :eek: Feeling slightly defeated I headed to my local shop and asked him if he could find ANY model of 550 (in .308) for me to make do with.

He said no. So feeling desperate I asked how much the 750 Sniper would be to get for me. Shockingly he said he could get one of two that were left for not much more then i was attempting to buy the overpriced 550 V. I told him yes immediately and after waiting for what felt like years (two weeks) I got to bring this home.

20160314_211538_zps7u8a7dyk.jpg

Sorry for the potato quality, I've been sizing what ill need to make its new scope fit well so I tossed on a beater tasco that's always floating around. Not huge on the bipod but it made working on the scope easier.

I figured you guys might appreciate or enjoy it. Hopefully it turns out to be worth the effort.

Venom1956

That's the C750, isn't it?

That is a heavy gun!!

Looking forward to a range review!

It is. I am dying to get it out to the range as well. I have to be responsible and not buy anything else for a bit since this was a very unplanned purchase but I am hoping in the coming months to get some good glass and ammo for some range time. It is massively heavy. But I prefer heft to my guns vs more recoil.

http://www.vortexoptics.com/product...fp-riflescope-with-ebr-2c-moa-reticle/reticle

http://www.vortexoptics.com/product...x50-riflescope-with-ebr-1-moa-reticle/reticle

These are the two im deciding between

I am green with envy.

Ha, perhaps sometime I'll be down near you and let you take it for a spin. Just don't break it else I'll cry.

Also for anyone mildly interested in one of these two of the deciding factors for me were the excellent hard case by Negrini which is worth about 400 dollars on their website. Also it ships with two 10 round mags which can fit/work in any .308 550 rifle and buying them separately they cost about 130 per mag. So you might be saving almost 700 dollars for stuff you might have been planning to purchase after the fact. So depending on your needs it might be cost effective.

Last edited:

Pond James Pond

It is. I am dying to get it out to the range as well. I have to be responsible and not buy anything else for a bit since this was a very unplanned purchase but I am hoping in the coming months to get some good glass and ammo for some range time. It is massively heavy. But I prefer heft to my guns vs more recoil.

NICE!! :D

I hankered after a 750 for some time, but knew it was well out of my price range. I jumped on a lightly used CZ550 Varmint when I found one, instead.

Same action, same mags (only 4rd, not 10). I think the Varmint's barrel is a bit shorter (26") and I'm not sure about the twist rate. Mine is 1:12, but I'm guessing yours must by a bit faster for heavier LR bullets. Mine seems to favour lighter 145-155gn bullets.

I was also lucky to get a new Burris XTR 312 reduced. It seems to be a limited edition as it has plain crosshairs, no mil-dot etc.

Venom1956

550 Varmint is one heck of a gun tbh I really really wanted to get that one It was probably more cost effective. I was pretty sad to hear about the 550 getting discontinued and really struggled to locate a new Varmint and I figured well since the 750 is based off the 550 and even less common might as well get one of them before the same thing happens.

scoobyshoot

Hi everybody,i am new here,first post.
To venom1957,i ordered a CZ 557 Varmint.A cheap copy of yours.
Barrel 26" 1/10" twist:), so you know i am interested in your
shooting results and bullet choices.
Mine is scheduled for june. So keep posting.
I live in Belgium, that means only 110yard ranges.
I have to move...to the USA:)
For scoop i have allready a sheap secozoom 4-50X75.

themalicious0ne

Haha, I promise I wouldn't break it venom. That is an awesome pick up. I always wanted the 750 but thought they were a little out of price range. Of course the alternative 550 that I want is now discontinued. That's awesome you get the better offering of that action, especially since they are discontinued.

If for some reason you just can't stand that gun anymore, I'm not far away. Lol

Venom1956

@Scoobyshoot soon as i get to the range I will definitely let you know how it shoots. I unfortunately haven't had time to get to the range.

and the 557 is by no means a cheap rifle. it bet it will really shoot for you.

surveyor

since I mainly shoot known distances, and wanted a thin reticle,
I have this http://www.vortexoptics.com/product/vortex-viper-pst-6-24x50-riflescope-with-ebr-1-mrad-reticle/reticle
On my 6 mm rem. Its a nice scope, and I like the features. If I shot more unknown distances, the ffp would give me better benefit.

The savages are wearing ior valdada's.

I'll probabally get another vortex for the next scope.

That's a nice looking rifle, I'm sure you'll enjoy it.
From what I've found cz's have a tendency to multiply.

Phill_Jay_D

Hi everyone.
Also I have CZ 557 Varmint .308 WIN.
For now, I had the first shooting and I set just the optics but I already see that the rifle has potential.
This is the result of shooting at a distance of 100 meters.
Ammunition S&B 11,7g ( 180 gr ) SP

IMG_5571.JPG

Phill_Jay_D

My rifle is breathing easier now. :D I mount muzzle brake made of titanium.
Weight 217 grams, astonishing effect. A recoil smaller than the AR 15 .223 Rem :)
Now looks better.
Below is a group of five bullet holes on 100 meters with a muzzle brake.
Ammunition S&B 10,9 g ( 168 grs ) HPBT

PUhBta_8rW5yxq_nmM88KRDhMywY4kOl6tHfh0JSAPWRCZwFISj1kv6gQyV5S5l846-4SDhwETwGDhLpjI3vWHI2YD9wgl5tGKjPmGEpAA9hueej6Yj6rtFjy_idYciqwUGAKzN7sEsXvVdSDyXpBGV7G7pB0n08tJ3MB_jaQMRRuYZudE_p7mtVBIDX3QtQJjf6vOR5b2yfIPx-1maR-YrLyoN13brNJlFFLYI9K5ar2I7TWJLgoarLcB2Fjs4bE8N-U9mLrkfvTmr9lm2ScethWj1wECI6thBsguGmxM3KMVcW00hoU0cBSSWwFLInZh4CancExtfzkj_o61Fzbjku8Wh_MJZdbA8ZhF_pqSQoq4AF3mE1WeV38g5zeUE86KdRgAnA_Rf3Sn4fi8XsDFinsDEo-70iain4iBaJWjMIS8zZ_fdn8bIAM5MmblSQi_eFOioS0DzqFu-pGLATjCRncORe3aPh1vWayOBr_6lPIvOQuuANQc-wpbrcYy1MrRlSVYUaUkc-3lu68Yfaah4S4uoBn1oTzXD_0gVysp5Cc8x5ZqHSlmxcrVpxSkprS85-Lh3E-vsAg4jq_qlieldXy_xguEc=w1359-h785-no

IZWs8WY8agXBSLE-qqYpOOdN9GW61TbupW_x7PKu0UbQsMv0JOAEVZ6R1PgVfk2AUuh23n3-W3h0gdcip4Xy7aMzlcdqg-kz6k9kH-7wFQmte4krnHNAz5NEIdVeIFGEQulZtJrz-OrilImwSdwxC0w4n1HG0ZjabLzb0Sw_Kd4C6oVZeB21ycItyzNCNZDfbEN0dZ5SinXConsSV8T7nZSplet2I_L7q5OAq14hDQNkutKdBAYp2pKl2SijvW_ZN38WHaCOdg9UHRgO93JiGKf-VZ2VeVdF8GWmsL1Ux32gqcQG0YS_wacMIWuoxv1gqKZe_KE3woTR_hJgN-qQ2bMZuAnszoSg18_FOMPS1GGTtvndLi0AgTDPoX04O1hWA0Rj_dZJkbopEHkZ-7ob9fG2WsuQuengqdOfeEjPYo9CaUwMnG-aJEMt6LVbS5y0g1cgy7jIeb1IK8XBz9NppDICcfefPKBShD9YiwfOwILjTPDl1xWR2k_xRsRADiJIDEGOURHLuXTh8WjcVXHlfhd8wKrnd1Ffm84qoAOitoOqqp2jEGE2qD6nWMBWzxXHZ3IK25oC1bhqoiOeHRvmZfl7vRb2yaM=w1022-h385-no

Pond James Pond

I've tried being subtle, but now I'm just going to say it:
Please stop shooting groups like until such a time as I can do the same!

:D

On a side note, I wonder if that stock would fit the old 550 receiver like mine: it seems far better than mine.

Despite having no irons, the 550 Varmint didn't have a raised cheek weld and this made lining up with the scope much harder: I had to buy a cheek pad. I don't understand why my stock had been profiled like that...

Phill_Jay_D

You can mount the lower assembly of for riflescope.
Because the 557 has a high cheekpiece I used high-assembly for riflecope.
Also I bought 557 Varmint because cheekpiece is for shooters left and right hand held.
Stock is in fact very comfortable.