Finally got my cowboy gun

Chipperman

Went into a shop over the weekend and looked around. They had several used 30-30's. I've always wanted a 30-30 carbine, so began to look. After an hour of fondling them all I settled on a used Marlin 336A 30-30 lever action. Is was $200 and in pretty good shape.

It's a little late for advice since I already bought it, but whattya think? Was $200 a decent price? Is there a way to estimate the age from the serial number? The Marlin web site does not have a lot of info. How would I get a copy of an owner's manual? How do you strip down a lever action? The dealer said that you're best off just cleaning the barrel and breech and not dismantling the gun at all. Is that true?

Sorry for so many questions. This is my first non- .22 rifle. (By the way, a carbine is still a rifle right?)

You can write Marlin for owner's instructions. BTW, $200 is a great price. Well done!

While I've disassembled lever guns, I can't tell you how to do it (in my madmess, I just have at it with my screwdrivers). A blow-up diagram is always useful if you find spare parts.

Prof

Chipperman:

Congrats on the purchase! I second the advice to call Marlin for an owner's manual. It shows the steps for disassembling the rifle for cleaning. I'm mechanically-challenged and I do it regularly, so you know it is easy! Yes, you can clean the bore, chamber and action fairly well without stripping it, but once in a while you need to do the more thorough cleaning.

James K

Member In Memoriam
Marlins are the sleepers of the lever action world. As Winchesters (even late 94s) go sky high, Marlins are bargains. The .30-30 is the best caliber, as the .35 sometimes gives problems due to the ammo. $200 is a good price and I think you will be happy.

Of course, the Marlin is a more modern design and not "the gun that won the West", but it is arguable whether the Winchester was either. (The real "gun that won the West" was a trapdoor Springfield rifle in the hands of a dirty, sweaty, smelly dogface infantryman.)

Jim

Chipperman

Thanks for the replies.

What do you think about estimating the age? The serial number is E12%%.
Can I get a idea of how old it is from that?

Chipperman

Called Marlin this morning. They are sending a manual right out to me. The woman was also able to anwswer that age question over the phone. The gun was made in 1948.
It's a lot older than I figured.
KEWL
Thanks everyone.

Johnny Guest

Moderator in Memoriam
Jim Keenan--
Good point on the Trapdoor Springfield. Not to argue with you, but I read an article some time back in which the writer made a good case for "The Gun That Won the West" being the old single-shot or two-row shotgun carred along by the immigrants and settlers. It would feed and defnd the family pretty well.

And--While the Sharps and Winchesters seemed to get most of the publicity, the Marlins were out there on the pointy end of things fairly early and often,as well. Kind of like, before Cowboy Action Shooting became popular, most people thought EVERYBODY packed a Colt SAA sidearm. Now the early Remington and S&W holster guns get a little ink.

Chipperman--Enjoy your old Marlin. It has a proud heritage.

------------------
---The Second Amendment ensures the rest of the Bill of Rights---