Finally got my 97b to chamber.

chris in va

I had 350 reloads left over when I had my G21SF, Lee 452-230-1R over 4.3gr Universal 1.21oal. Not particularly long, but I knew they'd have to go shorter for the 97.

Tried 1.19 and about half would *almost* chamber. Back home I pushed them even further to 1.17 and this time used the FCD that came with the set, medium taper crimp.

Now I can confirm about 95% fired well with a couple bobbles, probably due to the lead ring I didn't quite scrape off. Good thing these weren't loaded hotter, I'd be concerned about a compressed charge!

I really have to wonder why Lee made this mold. It doesn't follow the traditional 45ACP profile at all, making it a PITA to work with. :rolleyes:

Last edited:

Adamantium

I wouldn't shoot that round, but thats just me.

I use the Lee 230 grain ball, the tumble lube variety, but same nose profile for sure. I don't think that is your problem though (else it would be a problem in your Glock or Sig as well). I bet if you go back to 1.21 and run it though the FCD it would chamber as well. Not to make too many predictions in one post but... Switching to a different nose profile probably won't solve your problem either.

What you are seeing with the rounds chambering all but the last little bit is the mouth of the brass coming into contact with the chamber. If the bullet was contacting the lands you would see it gradually adjust and go away while shortening the OAL (IE when you take the OAL down .01 it seats .01 deeper no problem). Your midget round probably doesn't have that problem because it is seated sooooooo deep that the seating die can apply a huge crimp to it because it is sizing it down over the ogive, eliminating your problem.

chris in va

Anything over 1.17 and you can see where the lead near the case mouth was rubbing in the leade and preventing it from chambering. I tried doing the FCD with 1.21 and no-go.

Crazy Carl

You mentioned scraping off a lead ring? Try belling the case mouth a bit more & you shouldn't get anymore shaving.

My first batch of .45ACP didn't like to chamber in my 1911s. COAL was good to go, but noticed the lead ring. Scraping it off with my thumbnail didn't help.

I think when you get the lead shaving, during bullet seating, it deforms the bullet enough to make it hard to chamber.

Bell the case mouth a bit more, seat the bullet to a more "normal" COAL & see what happens. My 1911s run like a top, since discovering that.