Finally got a wheel gun

Recon7

My modest 6 gun collection just got a little more balanced. Almost a month ago I had some more problems with the Kel Tec p3at so I traded it and $100 for a used S&W 642, My first revolver. It is a big change from the KT, but it still serves as a pocket gun and I have much more confidence in the gun and the bullet. I took it out to the range and carried it around town yesterday, so here are some of my thoughts on it.

Recoil, I may get some flack for it, but I feel like somebody hit the web of my hand with a hammer after 80 round of standard pressure .38's. However it handles better than the old KT because there is more to hold onto.

Trigger finger, halfway through my shooting, I started to pull the trigger with the middle of my finger between my knuckles. Now this goes against everything I have been taught, and I have shot dozens of other guns properly with the pad of my finger beneath my fingernail, but for some reason, the snubby seems to fit my hand and handle better using this technique, I think I was a little more consistent with my accuracy this way too. I am now wondering if I should go back to using a proper trigger pull, or just use what works for me.

Also on trigger pull, I now know why people try to complement DA autos by saying the pull is like a DA revolver. The trigger pull is far better than any DA auto I have shot.

Ammo, I got some Remington .38 Spl +p 158 gr LHP for carry ammo. The bullets are pretty soft with deep hollow points, so they look pretty good. I would have gotten the buffalo bore 158 gr SWCHP, but that would require driving 80 mile round trip or buying online. I am not looking forward to shooting these, but I think they will be effective if I ever really need them.

Carry, I have been sporting the holsterless pocket carry method and still have my manhood so far, I went holster shopping yesterday, but every holster I tried put the grip very high in my pocket to where I could look down and see it. My levi's I am wearing now have a kind of pointed pocket and the squared off and even rounded bottom holsters push the gun up higher. Without a holster the snobby rides deep and conceals pretty good except it prints If I sit with it directly on my thigh, that is solved pretty easy by sliding the whole pocket over to the outside of my thigh. I would like to get a pocket holster, but it would have to be very minimalist and come to a point down at the barrel, also I would prefer the barrel is covered, that is half the point isn't it?

stevieboy

Using just the pad of the finger (the part under the nail) for shooting a single action revolver or, a double action revolver in single action mode, is generally considered to be the correct technique. However, putting the finger much deeper into the trigger guard so that the trigger rests behind the first knuckle, or even slightly more deeply than that, is correct for shooting double action. The reason is that the greater effort required for a double action pull means that you must resist a tendency to pull the gun towards your shooting hand as you pull the trigger. It's very hard to do that using just the pad to shoot. So, if you're right handed, for example, using just the pad will tend to cause the gun to pull to the right as you discharge it (the opposite, obviously, is true, if you're shooting left handed). Putting the trigger finger deeper into the guard "cures" that tendency and allows one to pull the trigger straight back.

A J frame Smith revolver, such as yours, actually has a heavier trigger pull than the larger frame Smiths. In the J frames they use a coil spring as the main spring whereas they use a leaf spring in the bigger guns. There's apparently more resistance with the coil. What that means is that it takes more effort to fire a J frame and that, in turn, may necessitate putting your trigger finger fairly deeply into the guard in order to get a straight pull. The bottom line: your technique is correct for double action shooting. Enjoy your new gun!

Stainz

Most S&Ws - even the J-frames, with the possible exception of the rimfire models, can be resprung slightly lighter (Wolff standard springs are an improvement!) and still be reliable with all ammo. Reliable is the key - S&W doesn't want your CCW to go 'click' when it should have gone 'BOOM! They are a bit more stout as a result. Break-in seats the components, making it smoother, too. It wouldn't be a stretch to imagine that most 642s in the used market haven't been broken in, I do believe.

You can break-in a centerfire S&W without 'snap caps' - just be sure it is clean and has some lube. Then - make sure your ammo is elsewhere - and click away. Change hands periodically - and rest your hands. It takes 1,000+ dryfires, usually. Re clean and get a heavy paper towel or shop rag to wrap your 642 in - after you flood it with an aerosol cleaner - like RemOil (WallyWorld, etc) - into the trigger opening and hand opening (release the cylinder for this). Now shake it free of as much of the cleaner as possible. If it leaves a black residue, repeat the aerosol application and shake it dry again. When the solvent looks 'normal' on your paper towel/shop rag, be sure to shake it again - and wipe it clean, then return it to service. Of course, taking the sideplate off to clean is better - but this way is best if you are the least bit squeamish. It'll be broken in... or, at least your trigger finger will be stronger!

The Remington R38S12 158gr LHPSWC +P is great - but pricey to practice with. Find Georgia Arms on the web - they have great ammo, including a reload, #G38E 158 gr LSWC +P .38 Special $10.75/50. That is actually a LSWC(HP), although it's lead seems a bit harder than the Remington. They are cheaper and ballistically equivalent, hitting coincident POI/POA at 12-25yd along with the slightly faster Remingtons (I chrono-ed them at 840 vs 837 fps from my 642). Load the Remingtons for 'carry'.

The 642 is a great 'pocket protector' - here is a picture of mine and a 296, it's L-frame sibling 5-shot hammerless AirLite .44 Special big brother, in Robert Mika's pocket holsters - great product:

IMG_0206.jpg

He makes them 'to order', so, a more pointed version than the rounded one's I have is possible. It works great, keeping the revolver aligned as you want or need - and ready - while breaking up the outline.

Stainz

Elvishead

I guess I shoot like that in DA.

I too carry in my pocket with no holster. I keep a use ear plug in the barrel tip. I used to put a corner of a baggy with a rubber band, but the ear plug is easier.

Recon7

Stainz, I've been lookin at those mika holster, 30.95 for a true custom holster, not bad. How thick is the empty holster if you pinch it between your fingers? I've been looking at the gun in my pocket and noticed that a round or squared pocket becomes pointy with the weight of the revolver inside.

Elvishead, reminds me of stories of soldiers putting condoms over their barrels to Keep dirt out :rolleyes: I never saw that where I was deployed.

Smaug

Welcome to the revolver world. There are a lot of good things about revolvers. The smooth, non-stacked DA pull is one of them. The fixed barrel is another one.

They do kick more for the same power loads. But on the other hand, you don't need to keep your wrist & elbow locked for them to function properly, so you don't necessarily have to take that extra recoil to your joints.

Having the option of loads that are so light they couldn't cycle an automatic action is another good thing. (This is only fully realized by reloaders)

There are only two disadvantages to revolvers, and they can be lessened with practice:

1) Slower reload times
2) Lower capacity

With #1, you can get pretty darned fast at reloading, with practice. With #2, you just have to practice shooting enough that you're confident enough to get the job done with 5 rounds.

Recon7

Like I said I upgraded from a 7 shot .380 so I think 5 .38+p is a big improvement. I used to joke that my battle plan with the .380 was Bang Bang Bang Bang Bang Bang Bang groin kick and run :D

Smaug

Hey, don't get too down on 380s though. 380 makes about the same energy as entry level 38 Special. My Bersa carries 7+1 instead of 5+0.

38 Special makes slightly more power, and since it can shoot bullets over 50% heavier, penetratrion is considered better.

dgludwig

I too carry in my pocket with no holster. I keep a use ear plug in the barrel tip. I used to put a corner of a baggy with a rubber band, but the ear plug is easier

Wouldn't an ear plug in the muzzle constitute a barrel obstruction? It might be a better idea to put a piece of Scotch tape over it.
Actually, when carrying a revolver in a pocket without using a pocket holster, I'd be more concerned with lint, etc. getting into the nooks, crannies and crevices that are a part of every revolver. A pocket holster is always a good idea.