Finally got a Seecamp!

mini14jac

I first read about the Seecamp .32 many years ago.
It was the smallest .32 available, and "in the know" shooters carried one.
They waited months, and ponied up $1000 or more to get one. :barf:

I figured right then that it would be a while before I got a Seecamp.

Fast forward about 10 years to now...
I see that Ron Gilstrap in Texas is selling them for $360 +shipping to your FFL.
That's a lot closer to my price range than $1000.

I made some calls, shipped off a money order and waited....
After about a week, Ron sends me an email. My gun has shipped! :D

Two days later I get a call from my FFL. :p

I headed to the range with my new gun, an extra mag and an assortment of ammo.
(Please excuse the crappy pictures. All I had with me was my cell phone.)

The ammo in the picture, from the left:
Gold Dot jhp
Fiocchi jhp
Fiocchi fmj
(Plastic box) Some Czech ammo that was selling for something like $50/1000 when I got my KelTec P32. (The good old days.)
Wolf jhp
Magtech jhp

The night before my gun came in, I had unpacked the ammo from Sportsman's Guide.
I was immediately struck by how long the Magtech and Wolf jhp rounds were.
You can't tell from the picture above, but the bullet is long and narrow at the tip.
They look like they could easily be 1/8" longer than the Gold Dots or Fiocchi rounds.

No way those rounds were going to feed in a gun rated for Gold Dots.

At the range, after reading the manual, I loaded up both mags with Gold Dots.
Both mags emptied with boring reliability.

After two mags, my trigger finger got a little numb from being struck by the trigger guard, so I wasn't looking forward to the rest of the evening.
But, after a few more mags and concentrating on my grip, the discomfort went away.

The gun ate Gold Dots and Fiocchi jhp like candy. :D

Could not get any of the fmj rounds in the mags, or the Wolf or Magtech.

After establishing that the gun would function with quality ammo, I decided to take out one of the mag spacers.

Without the spacer, the gun would feed Magtech, Wolf, and Fiocchi fmj.
The cheap ammo from the P32 purchase has a very wide front on the bullet and still would not fit in the mag.

I did all my shooting from 12 feet, offhand, and modified Weaver stance.
At first, I was getting paper-plate-sized groups, and pulling right in rapid fire.
By the end of the session, groups had shrunk to 2-3", at point of aim, when taking my time.
I'm confident that getting used to the trigger will improve my shooting more.

It was also easy to get hits when shooting one handed.

Observations:
1. The gun is very well made. The term "Swiss Watch" does indeed come to mind.
It was worth the wait.
2. Once I got used to the gun, it was not uncomfortable to shoot at all. I fired 130 rounds, and have no pain, blisters, bleeding, etc.
3. Putting the spacer in the mag was an ingenious move on Larry Seecamp's part. It allows you to shoot cheaper practice ammo, and still have a reliable gun with self defense ammo. It is a testament to his engineering that the gun would function with such a wide variety of ammo.
(I wish the spacer was easier to get back in the mag. :( )
4. Without the spacer the Wolf and Magtech ammo worked, but the Wolf ammo was a very tight fit in the mag. I only shot one mag of it because it was such a pain to load.
Both the Wolf and the Magtech felt very weak.
The Fiocchi fmj was snappy enough that it would be a better emergency ammo choice to me.
5. The gun is plenty accurate enough for a practiced operator to keep all shots in COM of a man-sized target at realistic defensive distances.
6. I carried a KelTec P32 for quite a while, and it was a very reliable gun. But because of it's construction, I just never really warmed up to it.
The Seecamp feels like a quality tool. Almost like the difference between hammer from the $1 bin at the gas station, vs. a $30 hammer from Lowe's.
(No offense to KelTec owners. If a family member hadn't needed mine more than I did, I'd still have it.)

Edited to add: Now I'm mini14justlikewildalaskajac. :cool:

Attachments

• seecamp1.jpg
    seecamp1.jpg
    36.9 KB · Views: 496
  • ammo1.jpg
    ammo1.jpg
    47.1 KB · Views: 354
Last edited:

FS2K

Congratuations

The Seecamp has always been a lesser known of the elite firearms in history. It is the best of its kind, and has proven itself as a serious defense tool.
I am very happy you got one after all this time.

Welcome to the club.

It is always nice to see a fellow shooter see the light. Seecamps are the finest pistols I have ever held in my hand. They seem to be carved out of a single perfect block of stainless steel. They are as much a work of art as they are of precision craftsmanship.

attachment.php

PSP

mini14jac, You know ball ammo isn't recommended for the Seecamp, even without the spacer. Larry Seecamp has a good talk about ball ammo on his forum.

mini14jac

Yes, I did read about the ball ammo.
(After the range trip of course.):rolleyes:

I only shot about 25 rounds of fmj anyway.
Without the spacer, the Magtech and Wolf hollow point ammo wouldn't fit in the mag.
The Wolf ammo only barely fit without the spacer.

It's all good.
The spacer is too much trouble to get back in.
I ordered a few hundred rounds more Fiocchi jhps, and I think I've got a couple of boxes of Silvertips stashed somewhere.

From now on, it'll be be hollow points for practice and carry.

The good thing about the removeable spacer design is that you'll still be able to defend yourself, should you get in a situation where you can only find long jhp, or fmj ammo.

BUSTER51

THE KING OF THE BUG'S ,at that price they shoud sell very well indeed. sold mine years ago ,at this price I may just pick up another .:D

FJC

I just picked up one last week - what a little work of art. I only have 40 rounds through mine so far (waiting for my ammo order to arrive), but it has been 100% so far.

Here's mine:
seecamp_6005.jpg

seecamp_5995.jpg

PSP

FJC,
Man those are good pics. How do you get the lighting that perfect? Obviously you have a better camera (and eye) than I do. Care to share some tips?

deputy tom

I've been carrying mine for around 10 or more yrs.Back then these were bringing premium prices like $850.00-$1,200.00.Mine was purchased at $425.00 and a two year wait.I have been well pleased.YMMV.tom.:cool:

flomofo

price

at that price i was wondering if you could e-mail soi could pick one up myself im just worried theyre not on the list for california...flomofo@hotmail.com

mini14jac

Email sent!

I'm pretty sure they do have a California version of the .32.
Actually has a little safety button in the trigger guard, I think.
May be a longer wait than the standard model.

Let us know what you find out.

mini14jac

Without the spacer, the Magtech and Wolf hollow point ammo wouldn't fit in the mag.

:eek:
I guess you guys figured out what I meant:

With the spacer, the Magtech and Wolf hollow point ammo wouldn't fit in the mag.

Made a little suede holster, and I'ts been my full-time companion since I got it. :)

Attachments

• Seecamp_holster3_small.jpg
    Seecamp_holster3_small.jpg
    82.9 KB · Views: 91
Last edited:

PSP

price

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

at that price i was wondering if you could e-mail soi could pick one up myself im just worried theyre not on the list for california...flomofo@hotmail.com

Yes, there is a California .32, (no .380 yet), but the MSRP is about $100 higher. Actual price may vary per dealer. Don't quote me, but the wait for a .32 from the factory is only 3 months or so, through a FFL of course

alwilliam

I have a .380 seecamp Its a ok gun.

The grips have cracked and fell apart but larry replaced them.... have had no FTF of any type so far with about 50 rounds fired.

FJC

FJC,
Man those are good pics. How do you get the lighting that perfect? Obviously you have a better camera (and eye) than I do. Care to share some tips?

Thanks! I used three lights for that picture, one above, and one on either side angled inward. Just cheapo Home Depot aluminum-shade shop lights with frosted bulbs. Took a good amount of time to get them positioned just right to not blow out the features on a shiny stainless pistol like that... just gotta keep playing with them and with the exposure control.