Finally Found a Ruger Mark IV

cobra81

I’d been looking for a Mark IV for the better part of this past year, and nobody seemed to have one in stock. I really wanted the Target model in stainless, but when this popped into my local shop, I couldn’t say no. The shop owner said he wasn’t even aware Ruger was making this model, but it showed as available through his supplier, so he ordered three of them, and wonder of wonders, they all showed up on his next order. It’s a Talo version, normally the Hunter models are stainless with the V notch rear sight. This is a blued Hunter, with the fluted barrel and square notch adjustable rear site. Plan to get it out and shoot it tomorrow! Glad to see some Mark IV pistols finally hitting the shelf.

49-DAA8-C3-8-C19-43-DD-8-B3-A-C9090-D0-E2-F62.jpg

650-A4-E91-3563-40-DD-ACCF-CB3-A228-E3-ACE.jpg

43-B007-C5-0125-4-FD1-A211-C458563-F8696.jpg

Attachments

• 823-EDAF7-1-F32-4-C0-F-9-E52-55-D1778-C2621.jpg
    823-EDAF7-1-F32-4-C0-F-9-E52-55-D1778-C2621.jpg
    98.1 KB · Views: 25
A few various newish Mark IVs (with the thick barrels-Maybe they also have a skinny...) are available at Guns And Ammo, on Summer Ave, Memphis TN.

I visited the store today.

cobra81

In my area (central Illinois), they have been unobtanium. The only other one I saw in the last six months was a blued Target model at Scheels in Coralville, Iowa. So I was quite surprised and happy to find this one nearby at a local gun store.

Blindstitch

I have the Stainless Hunter Mark 4 and it was well worth it. When you're buying a gun that expensive tax plays a role in things. I think mine was $750 out the door at Cabelas with $42 worth of tax.

There is a problem with it that I can't remember if Ruger addressed but the rear pin likes to walk. Volquartzen has a better replacement for 10 bucks but when I was doing it I figured if I was going that far I would install a better trigger. No regrets.

Cowboyfromhell

$700+ for a Ruger .22!!! Yikes....I been out of the gun game a bit, that seems steep. Im glad I was lucky to snag a mk 2 last year for $300. It was mint too still in the box from 85 I think.

wild cat mccane

Yep. This appears to one of the largest price increases I've seen.

Used to be $450 and now $700? Ruger...

If this is new pricing, the S&W 41 becomes the new Ruger when people would have gone for the stainless models (because why wouldn't you) and the Buckmark becomes what everyone buys.

Last edited:

cobra81

Thank you. I know there have been times when you could buy a Ruger for less, but to me, the $599 I paid for this gun wasn’t unreasonable. It’s brand new, is nicely designed and ruggedly built, and I like the looks of it. Besides that, it was available, I wanted it, and I could afford it. No regrets, and I’m happy to add it to my arsenal.

Hawg

My LGS always has a few of them and they sell good but at 600-800 bucks depending on model I'll pass.

Blindstitch

Used to be $450 and now $700? Ruger...
I don't think there was that big of a price jump. You can still get the base model blued versions for under $500 if that's what you want. The stainless version is pretty much their most expensive.

But the other guns you mentioned are great too.

AzShooter

I think you did well for a fantastic pistol. I love my Hunter and it outshoots all of my other .22s.

I was lucky enough to buy one of the first Mark IVs and thought I paid a lot ( $379 ) today it sells for well over $500.

Yours will only go up in price so you bought it at a good time. Put a Voquartsen Accurizing Kit in it if you really want a decent trigger. Mine is set at just under 2 pounds.

burrhead

Having owned several Ruger Mark "series" pistols over the last 40 years, I think the MK II hits the sweet spot between price vs utility. But then I'm a curmudgeon. For $700 I'd look for an East Hartford Citation.

bbqncigars

There are still decent deals to be had online if you're patient and don't mind the transfer fee. A 22/45 Lite joined the herd three months ago for $580 total, which I found acceptable in these times. One VQ kit later and it's a joy to shoot.

Prof Young

Wow!

Wow. Very nice.

I've got the no frills version and love the thing. One of my favorite guns.

Life is good
Prof Young

littlebikerider

A MKIII for $175 is indeed a deal!

I have a MKII Competition that I bought new ~15 years ago for...399, I think. And a MKII target model I bought used since then. I'm also a fan of the MKII over the other varieties.