FINALLY, found a NICE 27-2 here in Ca. on consignment

uglygun

AND I DON"T FEEL RIPPED OFF EITHER!

There's this nice little shop here in town that regularly gets nice consignment guns in there. If I don't make it down every other week then I usually call to check on things.

Today I had a break between my college courses so I drove on down the hill to the shop and walked on in. I went right over to the consignment counter where I have the positions of all the guns commited to perfect photographic memory, there on the top shelf is this little gem with a pinned barrel and it seemed like I couldn't get a shop hand to help me out fast enough.

I get the gun into my hands and work though the chambers checking to see how tight this gun is, in a word "WHOOOOA". The sucker has got one tight lock up on it! Everything seems like the gun is so tight that I doubt the original owner handled it much, there aren't even any marks on the recoil shield from where the cases would bang against it during recoil. Appears to have been shot VERY little :)

So anyhow, it didn't take long to figure out what I was going to do. After passing up a few other real bargins some months back at the very same shop I have made a promise to myself I won't wait around to make a decision on whether I should purchase it, I lost a model 53 and a 28-2 by waiting too long.

Ofcourse I gotta freakin wait 10 days for the stupid cooling off period but I was very happy to pay only 400 dollars when it's all said and done for such a fine gun.

Now that the story is out of the way, I got a question or two.

First, I noticed something sorta odd about the gun. Were 27s made with shorter length cylinders? I know 25s and possibly some older 29s were made with shorter length cylinders for some time, my 25-3 is a short cylinder gun I guess. But this 27-2 appears to have a cylinder that is shorter than what I would expect for a magnum and I don't know if the 27s eventually got longer cylinders like the 29s did. I've had a 38/44 Outdoorsman for years now and I always thought that the cylinder length on it was a little short even for a 38Spl, I figured that with the additional capabilities of the 357Mag. that a little more room/flexibility would be given by going with a longer cylinder but what do I know.

Next is date of manufacture if possible: it's a pinned/recessed/3screw with the serial N8123xx

And then for 600 there was a very nice 629-4 down there that looked nicely customized with very little signs of wear, unsure of if it was factory custom or aftermarket custom but the barrel porting looked to be Magna-porting and had a polished shiney band around the barrel just under the front sight.

GunsnRovers

congratulations

Congratulations on a nice find.

I got a M28 a few weeks back here in LA for $399 so I guess that's about the going cost.

I finally got the story behind why mine was reblued (including the hammer and trigger:( )

I was in the shop on Friday when a guy came in and stood next to me at the counter. He was there for payment on some of his consignment guns. Evidently, this M28 was his carry piece for a long time and had a lot of holster wear, etc. When he retired, he wanted it refinished. After the refinish, he carried it for a little while and then it became a safe queen until he sold it.

Carried a lot, shot very little. Mine is a great shooter and very tight as well.

I love M27/M28's. They scream classic S&W. :D

Jeff

Blackhorse

Nice gun, nice price, been in my N frame mode for about 2 years now, still looking for a decent 27 but can't find one in this area for under 500.

Manufactured near the end of 1981.

I THINK, but am not positive, that the length of the 27 cylinder has been standard throughout production.

Standing Wolf

Member in memoriam
Yes, the model 27-2 has a decidedly short cylinder.

I bought mine new with an 8.375-inch barrel that wouldn't shoot well with any load. I tried everything from ultra-light to ultra-hot, and never could get the bloody thing to group. Quite a few years later, I sent it to Clark for a tight twist custom barrel. It shot as well as my best Python; unforunately, the bull barrel was much too heavy for my wrist. It's now in the process of acquiring a five-inch barrel.

I'm sure you'll like yours. Later versions of the model 27 weren't quite so well finished.

uglygun

I really wish it was a "try before you buy" type thing where I could take it and shoot a cylinder's worth of ammo through it at a target 25yards distant.

I consider myself a pretty good handgun shot, having shot primarily N-framed revolvers for 10+ years now the darned things are just second nature to me.

I'm really REALLY hoping this **** turns out to be a shooter :)

It's going to be taking the place of my 38/44 for the majority of shooting tasks, that darned 38/44 has been a terrific shooter for me over the years and the 27 has some large shoes to fill.

"I love M27/M28's. They scream classic S&W"
Mine are screaming as we speak. I have to keep my safe door closed just to get some sleep.

uglygun

That was the thing, I basically HAD to have a 27-2. I didn't want a 27-3 or anything more recent than the -2 variations. I just had to have a pinned and recessed gun, I wanted that character and personality along with the feeling of pride that I own something that is a sign of the times and how things have changed.

I was really wanting a nice 29-2 as well but I couldn't find any for the longest time in the condition or the exact configuration I wanted, finally I ended up buying a 29-3. But I'm still holding out for possibly one more 29 and if I see a nice 29-2 I'll hop on that sucker just as fast as I did with the 27-2.

maxinquaye

Uh, I have a 29-2 I hardly ever shoot...got anything good to trade for it?

I'm in CA so we can private party it as well...

ak1059

I'd love to find a 3.5" M27 myself before the end of the year here in SoCal, so any suggestions where you guys are finding these would be appreciated.

uglygun

tex_n_cal, the town is called "Bakersfield"

Heck, I think there's a Bakersfield some place in Texas as well but I'm not totally sure.

We're about 2 hours distance north of the LA area and about 2 hours south of Fresno. Nice conservative little town(though getting bigger as people are finding it's an affordable place to live) where people still manage to actually obtain CCW permits from the county and city, the town is great but the fact that it is smack dab in the middle of Ca. downright SUCKS!

As for the reason "cowpie", we've got ourselves a pretty good agricultural base around here and some real PRIME places to go squirrel shooting on a few of the surrounding ranches.

7th Fleet

I had a 27-2 that I traded even up for a stainless Ruger Red Hawk .357 about 15 years ago. I loved that gun but I wanted the Red Hawk because I figured that it would be the ultimate reloaders .357 mag pistol. The only bad thing is that I've been so busy at work I've never even fired the Ruger yet. :eek: But that is going to change in the near future with retirement looming on the horizon.

It's to bad that you missed out on the Model 53, I have one and they're sweet. :cool:

7th

uglygun

Yeah, I was hesitant cause I"d never heard of the 53. I was real tempted to get it that is for sure. Get this, it had it's original box, had all of it's inserts, was probably 95% condition or better, and I think they wanted 500 or so for it.

I tried coming home to ask around here on the web about it, specifically here at TFL, but the site was down for upgrade or something. I missed out on that gun by just 4-5 days, went down to buy it and it was gone. Was likely an 800 dollar gun no sweat.