Finally did it

stan5677

So I finally ordered a rifle for myself rifle a Savage 16/116 Trophy Hunter Xp in .308 Win I will be picking it up next Saturday. It comes with the Nikon 3x9x40 scope. Should I ditch the scope and rings for something better or keep the scope and just upgrade rings and bases. The rings and bases I have been looking at are Warne bases and rings and DNZ Game Reaper. Also these are the scopes I have been looking at all 3x9x49

Burris Fullfield 2
Vortex Diamondback
Bushnell Trophy and Trophy XLT
Nikon Prostaff
Leupold VX-2

DaleA

Congratulations!

The decision has been a long time coming. I hope it the wait makes it all the sweeter for you.

Unless there's something you already know you really don't like about the scope/rings I'd shoot it for a while 'as is' before I made any changes.

Good luck.

ballisti

The only change that I would make right away would be to double-check to be sure that the screws on the mounts and rings are snug.

It comes with a Nikon Prostaff. I have had five of those so far, and never had any trouble with them. Great scopes for the money. You can spend twice as much and not do any better.

Great rifle too by the way. My favorite Savage by far.

Picher

Tighten the base screws and if the screws snug down mushy, replace the bases. The rings will possibly have soft clamping pieces and may feel "mushy" when screws are tightened. If so, throw them out.

The Nikon scope may be okay for a while, but clamp it in a padded vise and check response to the windage and elevation screws, especially "Rt and Up". If they're sluggish, dump the scope. If it shoots okay and the image is fine, it may be worth using, at least until you can afford to get a better one.

rebs

I own 5 Nikon scopes and never had a problem with any of them. Shoot the scope for a while and see how well you like it or not like it. Then decide to keep or replace it.

hooligan1

I like the Leupold and Vortex scopes the best of that group with the Burris coming in just behind them.
I own 5 Vortex scopes and unless I upgrade to Nightforce, I'm not trying any other brand at this point.