Final brass cleaning after sizing and trimming

Django11

I’m fairly new to the reloading game. I’ve been prepping a bunch of brass, and I’m about to start loading recycled brass for the first time. One question I have is how to remove the brass residue from trimming. I have a wet tumbler and I could certainly run them in there for a few minutes and I’m sure that would clean it it just fine. The other thing I thought of trying is blowing it out with an air compressor.

What do you guys use? I’m I worrying too much about possibly having small particles of trimmed brass inside my cases?

I just tap the mouth on scrap wood to get the loose dust out. Bullets have been made from brass, so this isn't something it will hurt to shoot down the bore.

Reloadron

I never gave it much thought but after I trim I chamfer the case mouths inside and out and then just give them a downward tap like Unclenick does. Works for me. I wouldn't worry about it. Focus more on the important things.

Ron

Shadow9mm

I think its enough to just shake the casing or tap it on the table after trimming after trimming/deburring.

For rifle
deprime
wet tumble 1hr minimum
lube/resize
wet tumble 15min to remove lube
use gloves for all following processes to keep the brass from tarnishing
trim
deburr
remove primer crimp if there is any
ready to load

Generally while moving the casings around during the trimming deburring and primer most, if not all of the brass shavings fall out

For auto pistol
deprime
wet tumble, 1hr minimum
resize, carbide die (no lube needed)
check all with a case gauge for length
ready to load

Last edited:

Marco Califo

I like to dry tumble in corn cob media with a squirt of NuFinish. But that is to remove sizing lube and shine the brass. Trimming, and chamferring, debris come off with a tap and are not something to worry about.

Last edited:

Grey_Lion

The only concern with the trimmings is will they gum up the weapon's firing mechanism. Regular gunshot residue is carbon and unburnt powder. If you fail to remove case trimmings, you're adding those.

The only trimming of brass I do for pistol is removing primer flash hole burs. But I typically do this before I wet tumble with stainless media, lemi-shine, and a drop of dawn in hot water, so any residual brass leaves with the GSR. I'd think you'd want to tumble the brass after trimming for the same reason.

RC20

I just tap the mouth on scrap wood to get the loose dust out. Bullets have been made from brass, so this isn't something it will hurt to shoot down the bore.

It might not make much difference, but its going to vaporize and go down the bore with the gas.

May never know it or it could build up and as its brass not copper its not going to come out with standard cleaners.

I make sure its gone, knock it or blow it, whatever works.

jetinteriorguy

I just chamfer and deburr then toss them in the bucket. Never had any problems with this method but I suppose a quick tap on the table top wouldn’t hurt.