Filthy Rental Guns

Status
Not open for further replies.

Beretta Boy

I love my local gun store, it is clean, the people are friendly, the prices are right, and the selection is good. My only complaint is that, as you may have guessed, the rental guns are absolutely FILTHY! Some to the point that they cannot even be shot. I love to rent guns as a way to get the feel for them and I just can't help but think that I am passing up purchasing guns simply because my rental malfunctioned... when in fact it was not the guns fault.
My question is this:
How can I let these people know my disapproval without offending anyone?
I have already commented on a couple of S&W .22's I tried, but they did nothing but replace it with another rental. What gives?
Frank The Spank can back me up on this one, he's witnessed it first hand.

------------------
"...you're thinkin was that 5 shots or was it 6? Well, you've gotta ask yourself one question: Do you feel lucky??? ...Well, do ya PUNK!?!?

George Hill

Staff Alumnus
Hmmm - you could pour Hopps #9 down the actions...

Hoppes #9 - mmmmm...

------------------
"A fear of weapons is a sign of retarded sexual and emotional maturity." - Sigmund Freud
RAGE AGAINST THE MACHINE

Hal

Offer to clean some in exchange for range time?

------------------
CCW for Ohio action site.
http://www.ofcc.net
Do what you C.A.N.
http://thematrix.acmecity.com/digital/237/can.html

Matt VDW

You could try appealing to the dealer's desire to make a sale.

You: "I'm thinking about buying one of these pistols but the one I rented sure seemed to malfunction a lot. Does it do that all the time or just when it hasn't been cleaned?"

seanc

I went through the same thing. I was looking to evaluate the Browning Buckmarks. I went through 3 rentals at the same shop, same day one after another. I couldn't finish 50 rounds combined. I explained why I wanted to shoot the guns. The excuse I got from the counter guy was soo lame, I can't remember it. I'm still looking to buy another .22, but it will not be from them. This is a shop where I've bought 2 other guns from!

seanc

swampgator

I'll admit we're pretty bad about not cleaning the weapons at our range. I cleaned a 686 one time that had so much lead built up around the forcing cone that the top looked solid with the topstrap.

As for offering to clean one in exchange for range time, I think it'd be worthwhile to ask. Figure we charge $10 a half hour for the gun and $6 for range fees plus our ammo thru the gun $12-25 depending on caliber. I could see letting the $6 go if you paid for ammo and gun rental.

Just my thoughts.

Gator

------------------
Root Hog or Die Poor

Beretta Boy

heh... free range time, I am going to try that if I can get up the courage..
Thanks for the idea

------------------
"...you're thinkin was that 5 shots or was it 6? Well, you've gotta ask yourself one question: Do you feel lucky??? ...Well, do ya PUNK!?!?

JERKY

Being a re-newbie (meaning i was out of the gun scene for a while) I know just what ya mean. I can honestly say ive rented just about every gun at my local range (ouch thats expensive) and most of them failed to fire due to being extremely cruddy. they did admit they would have to hire a full time employee to keep all the guns clean. I took this as an opportunity to have my own torture test. I figured if any gun on that rack could keeep on bangin out rounds without a misfire it would have to be superior. so i kept on changing guns until i found one that didnt jam. they were all equally filthy and i went through about 10 diffrent models. here is my analisys...

beretta 96=jammed
beretta 96 jammed
S&W 645=jammed
star firestar=jammed
llama 45=jammed
glock .40 cal (? model)= no jams
taurus 9mm=jammed
sig 229=no jams
sig 226=no jams
beretta 92=no jams

I really learned alot that day. Im almost glad they didnt clean the guns they rented. It gave me the chance to see which ones would keep on ticking no matter how filthy. I was really concered about the berettas not operating when dirty. The 96 was the one i had my eye on buying. So i spoke with an officer that worked at the range. this is when i learned about the 96 was not built for the .40 cal. so i did more investigation and found that to be true. now i know why the 96's jammed. not only were they dirty but they are jammers to begin with. the beretta 92 performed flawlessly. and the sigs? well... Mine should be here today.

------------------
TIM : )

swampgator

Beretta Boy: Keep in mind that a lot of range personal are not going to take to kindly to the idea. We get a lot of college students at our range who (at least to me) show no signs of "knowledge" when it comes to weapon craft. I wouldn't let them clean anything in the cabinet for fear that they would screw something up. So don't get too bummed out if a quick "no" is the reply.

Before I get any grief about the above statement: not all college shooters are bad, however day after day the "average run of the mill" student shooter can leave a bad taste in one's mouth.

Example: our motors are directly above shooter in lane, one day we lost one to .40 Glock.

Sorry for the moaning. But go ahead and try, and remember the better the Rangemaster knows you, ie how competent you are the more likely he/she will say yes.

Gator

------------------
Root Hog or Die Poor

Status
Not open for further replies.