Filling a synthetic stock?

RedneckFur

I have a Saiga carbine I picked up at a gun show a few days ago. It has a cheap plastic buttstock on it in place of the normal AK's wooden stock set. After shooting it a bit I decided I'm going to keep the plastic stock because it fits me alot better than the tradtional AK stock.

The stock is hollow beneath the butt pad, and I'd like to fill the void with something to make it a bit more sturdy and less noisy (the hollow stock acts a bit like a drum)

I have a can of "Great Stuff" insualting foam, and I'm considering using that to fill the void. Do any of you have any experience doing this? Would you recomend that I go ahead with it, or do you have a better alternative?

Tell me what you think :)

TheBluesMan

Moderator Emeritus
Give it a try - why not? You've got nothing to lose. You can always drill it or scrape out if it doesn't do the trick.

Remember, only fill the void about 3/4 full - allow room for the stuff to expand. And wear rubber gloves. You won't get that stuff off once it dries.

Dfariswheel

Use foam carefully, and do the stock a little at a time.

Too much foam can over-expand and damage the stock, and the solvent can melt thin areas.

RedneckFur

Thanks for the comments. Too much expanding and damaging the stock was one of my concerns. I plan to do it a few inches at a time, so that the foam has time to fully expand. Here's hoping I dont break anything!

Sgt.Dusk

I wanted to make my synthetic stock more heavy and filled it with molten candle. worked great for me, but I guess you dont want the extra weight it gives.

Pahoo

I fillled one of my hunting rifles with Great Stuff, Windows and doors for the same purpose you mentioned and it did not make much difference as the foam is not dense enough. Still sounded like a drum. I'm sure there is something out there that can be used and still not add much weight. Good luck !!!

Be Safe