Fiji

BerettaCougar

So anyone else interested in whats going on in Fiji?

As a side note. 99% of the weapons the soldiers are carrying aren't even loaded.
So far out of the 300 or so pictures Yahoo! news has about this issue, I have seen one (1) M-16 styled rifle with a mag in it.
The chain guns have no chains, and the man carrying the weapon has no ammo on him.
The guys with the m-16 styled rifles with no mags do not appear to be carrying mags. what in Sam Hill is going on?
http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20061205/ap_on_re_au_an/fiji_coup_fears

read the article... then click on the picture of the General at the top left to view all the pictures.
I'm guessing they are going for the armed look...?

The Federal military took over local police with empty guns? I doubt the police would not know what a loaded weapon looks like.

Don H

It's a civilized coup. Why start a shooting war in a small country where, quite probably, every one knows each other or are related in some way, unless it's absolutely necessary? The soldier's rifles may not be loaded but I'll bet they are carrying ammunition and the threat is still there - the cops know they're outgunned.

On the slide show section right under the picture of the general slides 1,3,9,15,20,36,37,46,86,92 and 93 show pictures of soldiers without magizines in their rifles.

BerettaCougar

Odd it is, Still have yet to see one loaded.. Yahoo had other pictures up before that showed more rifles, mostly what looked like m16's now Yahoo has pictures of soldiers mostly carrying FN FAL's once again all are unloaded...

treeprof

It's a regular event in Fiji. In Nadi this time, the military and police first held a traditional kava ceremony and then the police politely handed over their guns to the military. I taught in Fiji last summer after finishing teaching my regular study abroad course in New Zealand, and I have zero desire to ever return to Fiji. What isn't broken is out of stock in Fiji, so the lack of ammo or mags is not surprising.