Field Stripping

HKGuns

I guess I am spoiled by the easy field strip of my HK's, I just finished cleaning my M&P and 1911 after some range time.

Not that it is complicated beyond my ability to do it, but is sure makes you appreciate the engineering that went into the HK field strip. I can almost take my USP down with one hand and The P7 comes apart nearly as easy.

Don't get me wrong, the other two are great pistols, but they're a pain in the butt to get apart when I compare them to my HK's.

A very minor quibble but something that may factor into "someone's" buying decisions.

Edited to add: I'll cut the 1911 some slack as it is over 100.

Last edited:

zombieslayer

I have such a variety of firearms. Some easy to clean, some not as easy. I still haven't perfected stripping my MkII down and getting it all back together smoothly. It always gives me grief.

twhidd

I've had to scratch my head a few times trying to remember the exact sequence for disassembly of a particular gun. When you have several different styles they tend to run together.

stevieboy

Practice makes perfect. My first semiauto was a 1911. I managed to get it apart fairly easily but couldn't get the damn thing back together to save my life. I spent what seemed like hours sweating over the gun. I had mental images of humiliating myself by showing up at the store where I bought the thing with a box full of loose parts and pleading with them to put it back together for me. Then, after rereading the manual for the 100th time, I realized that I wasn't keeping the barrel linkage rotated forward when I attempted to reinsert the slide stop. With that little bit of insight I was able to reassemble the gun in about 2 minutes. It's been smooth sailing with my 1911 ever since.

Contrast that ordeal with the job of field stripping and reassembling my CZ 75B. That task took about 30 seconds to learn. With the CZ it's as simple as putting the slide on the frame, lining up the notch on the slide with the notch on the frame, and reinserting the slide stop.

And, finally, consider my wife's S & W Model 41. I could teach anyone how to field strip and reassemble that gun in 30 seconds or less.

James K

Member In Memoriam
The GI 1911 is not the easiest pistol to field strip, but it is about the only one that can be detail stripped with a bare minimum of tools.

Jim

zombieslayer

Another thing- for its age, the CZ52 is incredibly easy to take down for cleaning. Pull down on two tabs and pull the slide off. Viola!

JohnKSa

Administrator
It is true that it is very easy to get the slide off a CZ52, but getting the barrel out of the slide is a little trickier. ;)

Of all the semi-autos I've messed with, I think the Beretta 92/96 series pistols are probably the easiest to field strip and reassemble.

The STI GP6 might be easier but I haven't been able to handle one enough to make a determination. The link below has a video showing the field strip.

http://www.grandpowerusa.com/

JohnKSa

Administrator
The GI 1911 is not the easiest pistol to field strip, but it is about the only one that can be detail stripped with a bare minimum of tools.
Makarovs can be detail stripped with only a screwdriver to remove the grip. Now that you've brought them to mind, they are up near the top in terms of ease of field-stripping/reassembly as well. They probably even beat the Beretta 92/96.

Glocks can also be detail stripped with only a single punch or a small screwdriver.

I believe the Broomhandle Mauser can be detail stripped without any tool other than something to remove the grips.

zombieslayer

Eh, the first time was a bit tricky!
Another eaasy gun to field strip is my PPS (also my p99). Really, most guns only require the instructions the first time. I swear, though, that MkII is still a bit frustrating.

James K

Member In Memoriam
If we want to go back a few years, the Walther P.38 is one of the easiest pistols to field strip. With an empty magazine in the gun, pull back the slide, turn the dismount catch down, remove the magazine, let the slide go forward pulling the trigger to drop the hammer. Push the unlocking pin to pull the barrel out of the slide. Under 5 seconds.

Jim

Mike-Mat

The NAA Guardian can be taken apart in 2 seconds without any tools. Just one of the reasons I love that little gun. Simple and smart design.

Field sripping the XD(M) just can't get any simpler. Lift a lever, release the slide, pull out barrel and spring. You don't even have to pull the trigger anymore.

If anyone really thinks a typical 1911 is a pain to field strip, I can give them a break if they can't change their own tire or oil...:rolleyes:

Patriot86

My P-226 is easy to strip down, i haven't had the thing a full month yet and I could probably do it blindfolded. Truth be told that was one of the primary reasons I zeroed in on SIG.

gwnorth

SIGs are pretty simple - lock slide open, flip take down lever, release slide and pull apart. Seems about as simple as you could ask for (FNP series are the same).

My worst is my CZ P-01 which while still not difficult, is a bit of a pain holding the slide notches lined up (against spring tension) and then pushing out the slide stop without marring the finish on or near it. Especially the first couple of times, the slide stop was really tight but has eased up since then.

notamisfit6

My CZ is probably the easiest pistol I own to field strip. When I bought my 1911, it took some getting used to, but it's not too different from my Tokarev (though I like the Tok's barrel bushing better than the 1911's; trying to remember whether it's 30 degrees this way or that way irritates the hell out of me as opposed to 180 out).

My Ruger P95 is probably the most irritating weapon I own when it comes to field stripping. The recoil spring assembly uncaptured itself the first time I tried, and the damn extractor always trips me up too.