Field Safety

Barnacle Brad

I know most of the audience takes proper care of their firearms when afield, but here is a grim reminder of what a lapse in judgement can cost. Last week we lost a fellow hunter in a mishap following a hunt. Upon returning to their vehicle, someone in the party left a loaded rifle leaning against the truck. The rifle fell and discharged striking the guy through both thighs. He died of his injuries at the hospital.

Please don't be the guy who does not respect his firearm or more importantly - the life of his hunting partners. Unload it and secure it inside the vehicle before anything else. Fired bullets, intentional or accidental cannot he taken back. Don't be afraid to educate individuals in your party because you might hurt their feelers. The life you save may be your own...

CODY MAN DIES AFTER HUNTING ACCIDENT

Blindstitch

Wow that sucks. The one thing I can't seem to figure out is how it goes through the upper left thigh and then enters the next if leaned up against a truck.

But this is up there with the hunter who lays his shotgun down when going under a fence and the dog steps on the trigger shooting him.

Pahoo

Who has muzzle control?

Sadly, this is not the first time a loaded rifle/shotgun, leaning against a truck, tree or whatever, has fallen over and discharges. We had a similar accident in Iowa where a loaded shotgun was leaning against a fence, one of the dogs knocked it over and a hunter was shot, in the foot. ..... :eek:

Be Safe !!!

bucksnort13

This is such a shame something similar happened in Wisconsin the same year I was hunting on my first deer hunt. A hunter leaned his loaded rifle on a fence post and then as he was crossing the fence the gun fell and went off and hit him in the chest he sadly died. I agree that all hunters need to remember firearm safety when hunting.