FIE Regent .22 LR revolver

Doc Hoy

I post a lot on TFL but not generally on this forum.

I came up with a Regent .22 LR with a broken yoke.

I found a yoke and cylinder assy. on Evil bay for 75.00.

I am reluctant to spring for it for two reasons. The pistol, fully functioning in good condition is not worth much more than 75.00.

The yoke, made of white metal with such a small cross section is a natural weak spot in that revolver. I am afraid, I'd buy it, put it in and have it broke soon anyway.

So, I made a fitting, a small plate. Drilled and tapped the two parts of the broken crane, and screwed it back together. It may actually be stronger than the original part.

Cycles fine. Cylinder swings out and in and latches in place smoothly.

If it were not for the white metal parts, I would say this is a pretty nice revolver.

Tnx,

Doc

Onward Allusion

Pictures!

I have an appreciation for FIE's. My first real gun was a FIE Titan II E22 purchased at an Ace Hardware of all places. Shot it until the frame rails peened. :)

Doc Hoy

Initial photos

First is just the left view of the pistol

Next is a close up of the broken yoke still in the pistol

Finally the two pieces out of the pistol

Attachments

• Regent a.jpg
    Regent a.jpg
    144.5 KB · Views: 115
  • Regent b.jpg
    Regent b.jpg
    119.5 KB · Views: 97
  • Regent c.jpg
    Regent c.jpg
    133.3 KB · Views: 88

Doc Hoy

More photos

This is the beginning of the metal work.

I just used mild steel flat stock in 1/4 inch. That is way too thick so I milled it down to 1/8 inch.

shaped and drilled pilot holes in the plate.

Ultimately these pilots were cut to make slots rather than round holes.

Attachments

• Regent d.jpg
    Regent d.jpg
    118.6 KB · Views: 74
  • Regent e.jpg
    Regent e.jpg
    116.8 KB · Views: 55
  • Regent f.jpg
    Regent f.jpg
    143.3 KB · Views: 63

Doc Hoy

Final pictures. Now don't laugh.

The revolver with drilled and tapped yoke.

The plate and screws. I made them to 8 - 32 which is as large as I thought I could go.

The plate installed.

The revolver opens and closes pretty smoothly. Cycles fine.

I don't know how long this will last. The screws are turned into the white metal yoke. White metal won't hold the threads very well. It is a .22 so the forces will be lower than if it were a larger caliber.

I am not convinced that I have saved the revolver. The plate is pretty hideous. I am thinking to blue the parts but that is in the future.

Attachments

• Regent h.jpg
    Regent h.jpg
    124.9 KB · Views: 73
  • Regent i.jpg
    Regent i.jpg
    111.9 KB · Views: 71

Hal

I am not convinced that I have saved the revolver. The plate is pretty hideous. I am thinking to blue the parts but that is in the future.
No - comment - on the save part - other than to say, I'd have incorporated that old shooter into a non-shooter, desk top do-dad (business card holder or something like that)
On the bluing part though - a Magic Marker will take the grotesque off of the look and turn it from that into just plain ugly..... ;)..

Doc Hoy

This project was fun to do

But I knew it wasn't going to be pretty.

I also am aware, that it will prolly shoot loose pretty quick.

I am watching that yoke and cylinder on eBay and if the price comes down, I might think about it.

As an alternative, I might strip it and sell the parts.

As I did not pay anything for the revolver I haven't lost much.

I am looking forward to my next project like this.

Dave T

If you get enjoyment out of solving that kind of problem, more power to you!

In my opinion that revolver is not worth the time and effort you've already put into it, let alone now bluing it.

YMMV,
Dave

Onward Allusion

<Thumbs up>

Heck, you turned a non-functional piece of junk into a shooter. I would cold blue your fix to make it stand out less. BTW, did you use machine screws and Locktite (preferably red)?

Doc Hoy

To OA

I made the screws and have not yet put any Locktite on them because I want to take it apart to cold blue it.

Doc Hoy

To AB,

The crane would be past me. It would be much stronger made of steel. But that would be a waste of time as Dave said.

I am on the prowl for other projects to build learning.

JohnMoses

Nice that you have a mill. I would've tried duct tape and baling wire. Just kidding. More power to you for solving a problem with what you have on hand. During the zombie apocalypse, that gun would be priceless. But in today's world, I'd use 99cent a can black paint over cold blue.

Pahoo

My Compliments

I guess that my take-away on this is that once more it's "serviceable". ;)

In my opinion that revolver is not worth the time and effort you've already put into it, let alone now bluing it.
I've been down this road many times and will likely keep doing it. My time and work leads to my satisfaction. When I reach a dead-end, I give it to my parts guy. ….. ;)

Be Safe !!!