FIE Italy black powder revolver

Status
Not open for further replies.

Soakland

I came across a revolver and tried to google some info on the gun. Basically trying to find out if it's a replica and what it's worth. Mark on the side of the gun says XX8 which when I looked it up it said its date was 1872. Not sure if I'm right or not. Only other markings I could find was a tiny picture that looks like two swords crossed. Previous owner told me its not a replica and a few years ago it was worth $600. I don't want to sell it I just want to know if it's authentic. I read that if it has a PR it means it's a replica. I found in two spots it has a small stamp saying PN. My guess is it's a replica but I would like anyone's input.

DPris

Member Emeritus
Would help greatly if you gave any info at all on what it is.

Single-action?
Colt lookalike?
Brass frame?
Steel frame?
5 shot?
6-shot?
Caliber?
Barrel length?
Opentop?
Solid frame?

What IS it?

If it has FIE marked on it, and it was made in Italy, it's a replica of SOMETHING.
Denis

RJay

As stated, if it was marked FIE ( Firearms Import and Export ) Italy, It is indeed a modern , " inexpensive " ( read cheap ) replica ,600 dollars? either he is blowing smoke or he has a very inflated concept of it's value ( by about times 6 ).

Ozzieman

With out more information it would be a guess and a poor one at that but I think that RJay is right.
I bought these two Italian repo's several years ago and they are good quality cap and ball revolvers and paid only 360$ for the pair.
Uberti are the upper end cap and ball and your talking < 400$ and they are worth the price.
http://www.uberti.com/

Attachments

• Cap and ball.jpg
    Cap and ball.jpg
    159.4 KB · Views: 85

Hawg

If I remember correctly ( and that is not a given ) the FIE's were Ami San Marcos.

Not by a long shot. PR is questionable but the general consensus is they were made by Pierino Ruschetta. XX8 is the date code for 1972. The PR that I have is very poor quality and all I see are brass frame models that never existed. I'd say value if it works and is in time would be 100 bucks tops for a brass frame. Maybe a little more for steel but I never saw a steel frame PR. Parts are pretty well non existent.

jolly1

Due to modern regulations, all replicas should have punched stamp:
"for black powder only", or similar.

Old original guns from 19th century do not have this, as using anything else was not possible, since at that time there was no smokeless powder, and modern regulations.

DPris

Member Emeritus
My '69 Italian repro does not have "BP only" anywhere on it.
I don't know when that became the requirement, but it hasn't always been so.
Denis

Hawg

The FIE, PR manufacturers logo, Italian proofs and the date code are more than enough to decipher it's lineage.

DPris

Member Emeritus
Soakland is asking the same question, with the same lack of detail, in another forum here.
Apparently seeking an answer he likes more. :)
Denis

Cheapshooter

Soakland is asking the same question, with the same lack of detail, in another forum here.
Mods just closed that one, and considering the lack of information, or a responce from the OP, this one might as well end to.
Just hope for him he didn't pay that $600 for it!:eek:

DPris

Member Emeritus
If he paid anything over $100 on it, he's hopefully learned a valuable (or at least expensive) lesson.
Denis

Cheapshooter

After that he could try the forum where it should have been in the first place! Black Powder and Cowboy Action Shooting.:eek:
But I don't think he'll get the value up any more than the $100-$125 range.

gyvel

FIE, if I recall was based in Hialeah, FL.

I vaguely recall buying one of those from a toy store chain called Lionel's Playworld in the late 60s or early 70s for $27.95. It was supposed to look more or less like a '49 Pocket. (Things were different back then.)

DPris

Member Emeritus
FIE was a Floridian importer of cheap guns.
They didn't manufacture anything to the best of my knowledge, and they certainly did not make century-old Italian revolvers.
Denis

Hawg

They didn't manufacture anything to the best of my knowledge, and they certainly did not make century-old Italian revolvers.
Denis

No, they didn't manufacture anything. PR was the manufacturer of his gun, FIE was the importer. 1972 wasn't exactly a century ago.:D

I may be mistaken. His may not have been made by PR. I reread his post and he said he saw if it had PR on it it was a replica but didn't actually say his had it. Regardless of who made it it is a replica.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.