Ficton writer who knows his firearms..

Al Thompson

Staff Alumnus
I've read a couple of books by Marcus Wynne and have been impressed. Some of the plots are a bit off the wall, but enjoyable reading.

Art Eatman

Staff in Memoriam
What's he do? Murder mysteries? "Spies and FBIs"? Adventure?

I get really jangled at some writers. Martin Cruz Smith's "Gorky Park" was doing fairly well until the Grand Denouement, when he introduced gunplay into the action. I almost threw the book in the trash, right then.

I've taken to writing polite emails to a number of authors when the blurb inside the back cover gives a website. I'm very gentle in pointing out errors about guns, and suggest they visit TFL. :) To date, the responses have been thoughtful.

Art

FLM

The only mystery writers I've read that really know guns are Stephen Hunter and Patricia Cornwell. Gunwriters Clay Harvey and Jerry Ahern also write novels, but don't sell many of them.

Al Thompson

Staff Alumnus
Oops, sorry - had to meet some folks..

Wynne writes Clancy type adventure/mystery novels - think of the Clancy novel where Clark tracks down the druggies and extracts vengence. Wynne's not quite as detailed, but has the details right. Book I'll start on the PM is about a CIA agent who burns out and retires. His friends are murdered by a serial killer and he tracks the serial killer down.

Title is "Warrior in the Shadows"..

His previous one is about a Delta operator who has to track down another rogue operator. Not bad at all. Can't recall the name, may be "No Other Option"..

HTH

Lone Star

Try John Sandford's, "Prey" series. Your library should have it. Major best sellers. About a Minneapolis asst. police chief and his cronies. The author either does own guns or reads about them somewhat. He's no Donald Hamilton (the old Matt Helm series), but is easily the best of the modern police procedural writers, save for Cornwell, who was somewhat antigun in her early books, but became a knowledgeable gun owner. She's also been through courses at the FBI Academy. I believe she's also a licensed helicopter pilot. She writes the Dr. Kay Scarpetta series, about the Chief Medical Examiner of the Commonwealth of Virginia. Her latest (not a novel) is an attempt to document the real identity of Jack the Ripper, using modern forensic technique, and consulting a number of criminalistics experts. Should be in book stores now.

Lone Star

Joe Demko

Thomas Harris. Don't know whether he's pro- or anti-, but he didn't make any really egregious errors in his novels that I've read.

BrokenPaw

Richard Marcinko and John Weisman: Rogue Warrior series
The gun-related information in these books may be really good. I never paid all that much attention to it, though, because of all of the other wildly-incorrect stuff in them.

For instance: I forget which book it is, but Marcinko states that any computer with an internal modem in it is automatically and intrinsically subject to compromise by an outside cracker.

Since I don't know a whole lot about SpecWar, I have to rate an author's credibility based upon how he or she relates information on subjects I do know.

The first book in the series purports to be non-fiction, and seems relatively plausible. But the further into the series you get, the more you'll find examples of sheer fantasy. By the time you get to book 5 (Designation Gold), a lack of actual plot hides ineffectively behind an abundance of swearing that makes even the first book look squeaky-clean.

-BP