Fiber optic front sight, red or green?

stevieboy

I just installed a red fiber optic front sight on my Smith & Wesson 625JM and discovered that it's just the thing for aging eyes. For the first time in a long time I can isolate the front sight on my target and my group sizes were instantly reduced by about 50%.

Ok, so now I know what I need to do. I have several other handguns which are candidates for similar treatment. My question to you all is, which do you prefer, red or green, and why? The red, obviously, works well for me but I can't help but wonder if I'd get an even better result with a green fiber optic front sight. So, those of you who have 'em, please give me your preferences and your reasons. Thanks!!

stevieboy

My sight is manufactured by SDM industries and I bought it via Smith & Wesson. You can order it directly from SDM, the price is about $43, not including shipping.

It was, literally, a snap to install on my 625. The front sight on the 625 is spring loaded. You just push the sight all the way to the rear and tip it up and it then slides out of its recess. Put the new one in by tilting it up, inserting the rear into the recess, and pushing hard rearward and then downward on the front. It should snap into place.

Every revolver should have a front sight like that! Unfortunately, they don't. Some of the newer models have front sights that are pinned into the frame. To remove, apparently, you need to drive the pin out, then put the new sight in, and replace the pin. That process is complicated because you need to drill a hole at the base of the sight to hold the pin and that must line up exactly with the pin holes in the barrel. Too complicated for the likes of me.

On older models the front sight appears to be an integral part of the barrel housing. I assume that to put a fiber optic sight on an older gun one would have to cut off the old sight, mill some sort of groove for the new one, and install it. That's clearly gun smith work for me.

Finally, I'm not sure how they replace the front sights on semi-autos. I have a CZ 75B for which I'm contemplating getting a fiber optic front sight. I know they make them (Hi-Viz does) but I don't know doo-dah about installing one. I'll certainly take the gun to my local gunsmith for that project.

TylerD45ACP

Red. I remember my driving instructor telling me this because I found it extremely interesting. He said, "Stop lights are red because it is the color of the spectrum the human eye can see the furthest and best." Second I believe is green for the go lights. I never forgot that he said that. I would go with a red fiber optic dot sight for the front. For the rear I believe it should be 2 green dots. The you see the green line up with the red and it contrasts. Go with red and if you really dont want to green is the second best you can do anyway :).

azredhawk44

Green stands out better at dawn/dusk than red.

When Border Patrol snoops around in the desert down here at night, they use red filters over their flashlights so that the light is less visible from a distance, and it doesn't ruin their night vision.

Blue (and similar spectrum, like green) light "pops" more in dark environments and is more readily visible.

All my guns with fiber optic sights on them, with the exception of one, have green fiber. The only one that doesn't, is red, and it's because Williams Firesights aren't available with green front fiber. I don't know why, but that's the way it is.

Piscator

Green is easier for the eye to see because it is in the center of the visible spectrum. Use red, orange or yellow for the rear sights if you want.

CatsEye

I prefer the red FO over the green. I have used both on my M&P and found the red stands out better for me for the type of shooting I do.

rlmxracer

I have green Hi-viz front sights on my 2 M&Ps. For the rear flat black works best so your eyes automaticly pick up the front sight. I found the red sights don't work as well in lower light conditions like you'd find in your house at night.

RickB

I change among red, green, and yellow. I want something that keeps the eye's attention, and I can get just as tired of red as of black. Actually, when the fiber fell out one time, seeing that empty hole completely captivated my eye; that may be another option.

I just set up 4 revolvers, a Contender, & 2 rifles with red fronts & green rear fiber optics... ( aging eyes as well ) I think it's the best thing I've done for my shooting for a long time...

pgdion

Indoor ranges an outside during the day, I like red on the front and green at the rear myself. In the brighter light, the red stands out better and to me, just sits better on the target.

-----------------------------------------
I'll try to get a picture of my setup tonight and post it tomorrow.
With the red on the front and green at the back, when acquiring the target you get a glowing red dot between two glowing green dots. Just keep them in line and put the red one on the target ... sweeeeet.

Last edited:

pgdion

Ok, here's what my fiber optic sight setup looks like. Not an easy picture to get. In reality, the front red dot is much brighter and clearer than it appears here but it's tough to get a good clear picture of both sights, I'd need a much sunnier day to get the F-stop up around 22 on my camera to get that. The picture gives the general idea though. It's very sweet to shoot with this setup, I prefer it over a scope.

Attachments

• Img_7459_2c.jpg
    Img_7459_2c.jpg
    131.9 KB · Views: 461
Last edited:
Mine are quite bright...

attachment.php

I used these fiber optic rods...

http://www.midwayusa.com/viewproduct/?productnumber=772409

I haven't tried the yellow yet, because I do like the red, but these rods transfer more light than several others I looked at in the past...

Attachments

• Guns 384.jpg
    Guns 384.jpg
    41.6 KB · Views: 10,252