FG-42 Anyone?

Romeo 33 Delta

Here's mine in 7.92 X 57 ... and every bit as pretty in person. SMG (Rick Smith/Smith Manufacturing Group) is a first rate outfit, building guns that work right ... right out of the box. These are older pics ... now she sports a repro ZF-4 scope on a set of Adams bases!

She shoots every bit as good as she looks, by the way.:D

Attachments

• #2012.jpg
    #2012.jpg
    83.9 KB · Views: 103
  • DSCF3082.jpg
    DSCF3082.jpg
    101.8 KB · Views: 75

Destructo6

Awesome reproduction and something I have coveted for some time, but I can not swing $5,000 for one.

Too bad for me.

stubbicatt

R 33 D, where are you finding 8mm to shoot in your rifle?

Years ago when I had a MG42, I had a pallet of ammo in the garage to use in that thing, back when that stuff was cheap in the early 90s, or late 80s, which.

I am very interested in one of these rifles, but without ammo....

Regards,
Stubb.

Romeo 33 Delta

For the FG42 I've laid in a supply of Privi 198gr FMJ (when it was still available). Otherwise I use some old FNM for my other German semi-autos and reload for the bolt rifles. I remember when the last of the Yugo 198gr went "gone" (I had a good supply laid in so it was no sweat), and then there was nothing .... until Century brought in a ton of Romanian 150gr; so I bought a ton of that.

Rick has a 1 year warranty that's busted if you use any non-commercial ammo. I could switch to surplus now because I'm out of warranty, but the rifle likes PRIVI ... so that's what I feed it.

The way things are these days, it seems that if you don't have a stash ... you're out of luck ... or someone's going to take a BIG BITE out of your credit card!

Maybe in 4 years things will be better ... I HOPE!

stubbicatt

>>>> @ 4V50 Gary: I feel you bro. I'm looking at the gunsafe and trying to determine the culls....

>>>> @R33D, thanks for confirming what I had already suspected. I had thought perhaps the 308 version, as I have a pretty decent stockpile of that ammo. Only not "original" enough, even tho the rifle is a repro... Did you find the bayonet to modify for the rifle?

Willie Sutton

Am interested in one as well, don't think it would be shot much so ammo costs are really not relevent, but...

It's curious that the chosen caliber for non 8x57 rifles was selected as 7.62x51. Seems like .30-06 would have made more sense..... BAR mags, smilar case length, good availability of ammo... just a curious choice to make.

:confused:

Willie

Romeo 33 Delta

Just guessing, but:

1. Apparently adopting a slightly shorter cartridge (51mm) is easier to engineer than for a longer one (63mm) within the existing receiver in terms of the bolt being able to travel far enough to the rear in order to pick up a new round. The 8 X 57 is right in the middle between the .30-06 and 7.62 X 51 when discussing length of case. It might be that just that little 6mm could be enough to prevent this while with a shorter case this is not an issue.

2. What is the supply potential for BAR mags vs M1A magazines? With the 8 X 57 version the mags are surplus VZ-26 and 26/30 with no mods required. When this project got off the ground they were plentiful and reasonable. Rick bought a ton ... many of us also bought extras. Now they are much harder to find and less reasonable.

Magazines will be a bigger problem than caliber since Rick stated early on that he did not want to start having to manufacture mags as well as rifles. He provides 2 mags with each rifle. Mags have to be relatively easy to procure and not be cost prohibitive. BAR mags are neither. M1A mags are both (though he still has to mod them slightly).

Just my 2 cents worth from observation.

Willie Sutton

^^ all good points.

I'd think that 8x57 is still the preferred caliber, and cost of ammo... small stuff even if you shoot commercially loaded Norma or ?. This is never going to be a 10,000 round rifle. They are a safe queen to take out once a year. It's not like we are talking MG-42 ammo needs quantity-wise. 100 rounds a year would be about right.

There is a Member in Wisconsin with one who I have been trying to track down to see one in the flesh before I order one.

Willie

Willie Sutton

Pulled the Trigger today on this... order placed.

Now the looonnnnggggg wait.... <sigh>

Anyone else have one in hand or ordered?

Willie

Willie Sutton

You know... every time I have bitten off more than I can chew financially it's been OK. G Series FAL, Mars CETME, Portuguese AR-10, etc... all have been expensive at the time and all have been cheap in the long run. These will not be built forever, and will always be in demand.

Willie

Rainbow Demon

During WW2 the U S attempted to build a copy of the MG 42 in .30-06. It failed to operate properly because of dimensional differences in the cartridges, and would have cost a mint to redesign for the longer cartridge.
I would hazard a guess that converting an FG42 to .30-06 would pose even worse difficulties.
MG 42 LMGs are quite often rebarreled to 7.62X51 and operate perfectly with that cartridge. There is likely a modification in the belt feed for the shorter OAL cartridge.
The BREN GUN was also easily converted to 7.62.
Practically every sucessful MG or LMG design has been converted to 7.62 NATO and worked just fine with the NATO cartridge.

Willie Sutton

The T24 was a flop (US attempt to make a .30-06 MG-42 copy) and the 7.62x51 conversion for the MG-42 is a drop-in (new feed tray & barrel) so your point is well taken.

I've picked the original 8x57 for my own FG-42 build, seeing as how this will be a special-event rifle and not a weekly range-beater.

Discussed with the builder the possibility of making one "convertable" and it's possible... with a second fitted barrel and barrel pin. The only imperfect bit would be the mag housing, you can have it "right" for one or the other caliber, but not both. I declined the opportunity to try having one built and will stick to the original caliber.

Privi is gonna love me....

Willie