FFL transfer

publius

Anyone in the Houston,TX area that can give me a real good deal on 4 transfers. Dad bought 3 old Iver Johnson top breaks and a Stevens Crackshot without realizing that they must be shipped to an FFL. He already grossly overpaid for the guns so I want to keep the xfer fee as low as possible. Maybe trade a pig hunt for the xfer's. Sorry if this was wrong forum Mods.

Jbar4Ranch

Have you asked around your clubs? There are at least five FFL holders amongst the clubs I shoot at, all but one of them will do transfers for nothing for club members, and the fifth charges $25. All the FFL's around here will charge the same fee for one gun or four or whatever, as long as they're transferred at the same time. Pawn shops will usually do transfers for much less than a retail gun shop - $20 is the norm here.

Don H

How old are the guns? If they're classified as legally antiques they won't need to go through an FFL.

For the purposes of the National Firearms Act, the term “Antique Firearms” means any firearm not intended or redesigned for using rim fire or conventional center fire ignition with fixed ammunition and manufactured in or before 1898 (including any matchlock, flintlock, percussion cap or similar type of ignition system or replica thereof, whether actually manufactured before or after the year 1898) and also any firearm using fixed ammunition manufactured in or before 1898, for which ammunition is no longer manufactured in the United States and is not readily available in the ordinary channels of commercial trade.
http://www.atf.gov/firearms/guides/...irearms-verification-nfa-antique-firearm.html