FFL Question

Hays

I'm getting ready to advertise a handgun online, and was wondering what I would have to do to ship it to the buyer. Would I have to use a local FFL to ship the pistol to the buyer's FFL, or can I just ship it directly to the buyer's FFL.

If I need to use a local FFL, what is a reasonable charge for this, including the actual shipping?

If I can ship it directly, which parcel service should I use, and what does it cost?

Thanks for the help.

blades67

It depends on the buyers FFL holder. My FFL holder only accepts from manufacturers and other FFL holders. Others will accecpt from private parties.

Prices are subject to change.

Mike516

For your own protection, particularly for an out-of-state transfer, use an FFL on both ends of the transaction. Some FFL's will not accept a shipment from an individual because if something goes wrong, they cannot legally return it to you as an individual. Another point: how can you be sure that the buyer's "FFL" is legitimate? FFL's can (and do) check one another out all the time. Using two FFL's creates two records of the transaction which will separate you completely from the weapon as of a certain date.

Coordinate everything yourself, and have the FFL's trade their info. Tell your buyer that shipping and handling charges are his responsibility. This would include shipping and FFL fees. Let the FFL's agree on the best shipping method; they do it all the time. You should be able to find someone to do the paperwork for $20 to $30.

johnwill

Well, the question of if an FFL is valid is easily answered. Go to the ATF web site and enter the license number, and you will know in an instant what the name and address of the FFL who owns that number is.

"For your own protection"

Did you mean to say, so you can pay another $20-30 for a useless service?

ut83

It is in your best interest to do the double ffl transfer. Each sends
the other signed copies of their license. They can then check each other out and validate the transaction. You are shipping over state lines and it keeps everything nice and legal. Its just
the way to do it...any good ffl will only do it this way. If they screw up....BAD KARMA! My dad is a class 3....he had some friends/dealers that had a couple of BATF enemas. They can no
longer sell guns. ............my 2.798 cents Shoot well

Jeff OTMG

There is no reason that you can't send directly to an FFL. If the deal goes south your gun can be returned to you. You can even send a gun to yourself in another state and let a responsible individual receive it for you until you get there with no FFL involved. The ONLY reason that I use a sending FFL on a handgun is that I can send it for about $12 via priority mail. Failing that, if the receiving FFL is small, you can send a 'handgun' as a 'firearm' by disassembling it and putting the parts into two separate boxes. The box with the frame must be declared as a 'firearm' to the common carrier, but since it doesn't qualify as a handgun you can send it UPS ground for about $6 per box plus ins saving the cost of the overnight delivery.