FFL on Long Island NY

ViperJon

Anyone recommend a FFL holder on Long Island (Suffolk preferably) for out of state handgun transfer who is not a ripoff like my local gun store?
Gun store wants $100.00 for any new handgun transfer, which is more than they would make selling the gun outright.
Their prices suck, so caught in the middle.

Any recommendations?

NYPD13

Try here. South Shore Sportsman Inc. 9 Lansdowne Ave. Merrick, NY 11566. Ph#: 516-992-0004, Fax: 516-992-0072. He is still charging $25 till the end of this year at least.

Musketeer

There is a new shop at the northern end of Rt. 21 in Yaphank. I here from a coworker he has reasonable rates AND is located fairly close to the SCPD pistol bureau since you will have to do the back and forth thing. Exit 67 LIE and north less than 1/4 mile.

putteral

There used to be a gun shop on middle country road in Coram I used to deal with but I can't remember the name. It has been a couple of years. I have moved to Florida. Hope you have luck finding someone. $100 is crazy!

darkgael

The shop in Coram/Selden was Benson's Gun Shop. There was also another - might be gone now - in the Lake Ronkonkoma area called Chester's Guns.
Pete

NYPD13

Gunbroker is a great site to use. I would contact thier listed FFL's by phone or e-mail as the prices and FFL's are not up to date. Many of the gun shops in the Nassau Suffolk area are now doing out of state transfers for $50 to $100. Some also ask for tax based on the pistols sale or msrp price. South Shore Sportsman is currently the least expensive however the owner is thinking about raising the transfer fee next year.

Prolanman

Chesters and Bensons (they also own the range in Medford) will charge $100 for a new firearm transfer. Campsite in Huntington is $75.00 that last time I checked for a new gun transfer.

Any chance of getting a name for the new shop in Yapank?

ViperJon

Campsite is $100.00.
There must be a company or individual NOT affiliated with a gun store that charges a reasonable fee.
Other places in the US are $25.00-45.00 and we pay $100.00?

NYPD13

I believe they have to charge sales tax since it is a transaction of goods. Remember thier FFL info is on your NY registration paperwork not the actual sellers, just as if you bought the pistol from them to begin with. As to how they charge tax is descretionary i believe, i.e. bill of sale$, msrp if none, tax on service (transfer fee), etc. Again call mike at South Shore Sportsman, he only charges me $25. Next cheapest guy I've used recently was Coliseum Gun Traders in Uniondale for $60.

ViperJon

I have no problem paying sales tax on the actual purchase price.
I do if the tax is based on the MSRP which will be quite a bit more.

Thanks for the info.

BlkHawk73

I don't see how they can charge a sales tax when they didn't make the actual sale. They offered and sold a service not a product. A dealer tries that to me and they're not getting my business again.
Sounds more like another ploy to get few extra bucks from you. They charge sales tax but don't input the amount as such and it's $ in thier pocket. I'd definately get a legal person to weigh in on that. Any dealer doing so would have some explaining to do if it's found to bewrong (maybe illegal) and I'm sure thier records could be looked at for possible tax evasion if they don't actually input it as a tax collection cancel it and then pocket the moneis.

Prolanman

Just an FYI. I stopped at the shop in Yaphank today. It's a small place, not too much stock, and only does used handguns at $45.00 for the transfer.

Bubsy

Give T&T Tactical a call 516-221-7380. They're in Seaford. I haven't dealt with their Seaford location but I have had good experiences with their Nassau location.

bubsy

rzach

i left riverhead a long time ago , when i tell the guys in jacksonville fl about all of the boo-boo to get a gun on Long IL,they says i just made that up .We is free down here fl law 790.335 Prohibition of registration of firearms.--

http://www.flsenate.gov/Statutes/index.cfm?App_mode=Display_Statute&Search_String=&URL=Ch0790/SEC335.HTM&Title=->2006->Ch0790->Section%20335#0790.335

the last time i use a FFL it was $12.00:D