FFL license cost

I just applied for a C&R license. I never gave much thought to a full blown FFL. What is the price? Are there more steps and or a longer wait? Ar ethere any non-businesses out there that have them?

dogtown tom

$200 + a completed application. If you meet the requirements BATFE is required to issue the license.

I posted this on another forum recently:

A store front is not required, and never has been. BATFE is perfectly happy to issue a license to a "kitchen table" dealer IF he meets all other requirements.

Three weeks ago I had my interview with BATFE over my FFL application. I currently live in an apartment, have no storefront, and actually do not have room in my kitchen for a kitchen table (it's in storage). So I will be a dining room dealer .:D

BATFE requires (among other things) that you be lawfully engaged in business. Meaning you need to meet all state, local, homeowners association, landlord , etc. requirements concerning home based business. You will probably need to get an IRS EIN number, get a state sales tax permit, etc. BATFE WILL CHECK before they schedule your interview.

Contrary to internet myth, BATFE DOES NOT REQUIRE you to have a store front, make a certain $$$ profit, earn a full time "livelyhood" from being a gun dealer, or even to have hours that you are open to the public. You do have to make note of your "business hours" in your application. That does not mean you have to keep those as hours where the public can "walk in". Public access is not required to your business premises. You are ONLY allowed to conduct FFL business at two locations:
1. The address on your application.
2. Gunshows

Mail order is perfectly acceptable as the "business transaction" occured at your premises.

You cannot do "home delivery" (like Dominos Pizza)- I asked.

Two days prior to my interview the agent called to say that my property manager refused to give him a copy of my lease or any information regarding what was allowed for home business use. Apparently she freaked out when the agent asked about whether I was allowed to conduct business as a gun dealer. Guess what she said.

I then had to fax the agent a copy of my lease and highlighted where it specifically allowed me to operate a "home based" business. All was good.

The agent was very professional and helpful during the interview. He answered all my questions. The interview was more about me conducting a lawful business than the Gestapo grilling me about why I wanted to sell guns. The agent made sure I was aware I would not become a millionaire overnight by being an FFL. :D

After about 45 minutes of Q&A he had me initial/sign a few forms and it was over. I was told to expect the license in 4-6 weeks.

I mailed my application on June 13th, had my interview on August 31st. Agent said to expect license in 4-6 weeks. Should be anyday now........:eek: