Fffg And Ffg

qwik

New to BP . I have a Rem 58 (8") and (5 1/2) on ups heading my way :D:D:D My local gun shop does not carry any BP , but has in stock (1) can goex fffg , and ffg at 20$ per 16 oz can. Should i buy them both? I already have # of prodex p podwer. Also to store powder in barn behind house or in gun safe w/ humidifier. Thanks

B.L.E.

3-f or FFFg is the best powder for revolvers and pistols in general though FFg will certainly work.
Leave the 2-F for the shotgun and large bore rifle shooters.

madcratebuilder

You well want FFFg for pistols. $20 a pound is on the high side, but if you have it shipped you pat haz-mat fees. Pyrodex P is a good sub powder. I store indoors in a GI ammo box.

Dingoboyx

ffg is more for rifles, fg for cannons

It is in bigger granuals, & from what I have heard, the little caps/nipples have some trouble igniting fg & ffg (so it has been explained to me) ffffg is the smallest granual and good for flashpans on flintlocks. I agree, ffg MIGHT be ok, but you can count on fffg every time :D

B.L.E.

It's not the difficulty of ignition, it's that it burns too slowly to be efficient in pistol length barrels and small bore rifles.

My experience with FFg and Fg is that there is no percievable ignition delay in a caplock, it just results in low velocities and increased fouling if used in a pistol or smallbore rifle.
Even "cannon" grade black powder is easier to ignite than Pyrodex or other BP substitutes.

Hawg

I see no difference in velocity or increased fouling between FFG and FFFG. A chrono might show some difference but I can't tell it.
Pyrodex RS ignites just fine with standard caps.

crstrode

New to BP . I have a Rem 58 (8") and (5 1/2) on ups heading my way My local gun shop does not carry any BP , but has in stock (1) can goex fffg , and ffg at 20$ per 16 oz can. Should i buy them both? I already have # of prodex p podwer. Also to store powder in barn behind house or in gun safe w/ humidifier. Thanks

For some reason, it is tough to find real black powder around these parts, so I have been using Pyrodex for several years. The Pyrodex P (fffg) has been working just fine for me. The only misfire I've ever had was when I neglected to fire a cap through the empty cylinder on a brand new revolver to clean out the nipples.

After over a thousand rounds through numerous revolvers with several different brands and sizes of caps, the Pyrodex has proven to be 100% reliable.

It sells for about 13 bucks a pound.

arcticap

My local gun shop does not carry any BP , but has in stock (1) can goex fffg , and ffg at 20$ per 16 oz can. Should i buy them both?

Being labeled as Goex doesn't mean that it's black powder.
If the dealer doesn't sell black powder, then is it Goex Pinnacle powder, or the discontinued Goex Clearshot?

Pyrodex P is more potent than either of them (and black powder too) and must be thoroughly cleaned after each use.
Every powder has its advantages and disadvantages though, with black powder being easier to ignite and other sub's besides Pyrodex usually being easier to clean.
Depending on exactly what your dealer has in stock, I would only try the fffg. And then you can always mix it with other powder if it's not potent enough (or disappointing) just to use it up. I have! :)

Last edited:

Hawg

Pyrodex P is more potent than either of them (and black powder too) and must be thoroughly cleaned after each use.

B.S. Pyrodex is not stronger than real bp and you can go for days without cleaning Pyrodex with no rust or other problems.

arcticap

B.S. Pyrodex is not stronger than real bp and you can go for days without cleaning Pyrodex with no rust or other problems.

In the past, mec has posted many comprehensive chronograph readings of many powders being fired through many of his pistols.
Only Swiss powder sometimes exceeds the velocities of Pyrodex P, and certainly not any of the Goex BP powders do. At least not usually, although it could be remotely possible in some revolvers under some circumstances.
That's because Swiss BP is a moist sporting powder that's made using the more potent alder charcoal. And the Swiss don't even produce enough of it for every shooter to be able to load with it even if every shooter wanted to.
The velocity difference between loading equal volumes of Goex vs. Pyrodex P in revolvers can sometimes be 100 fps or more, with Pyrodex P being more potent.
I'm sorry for not clearly explaining the exception for Swiss BP vs. Pyrodex P. Otherwise I'm being accurate unless there are alternate chronograph readings shown to be contrary.
I've reposted so many of mec's chronograph reports in the past, I don't believe that it's necessary to do that all over again.
The integrity of mec's chronograph readings are not usually challenged, although I would be open to viewing any bona fide chronograph results. :)

Last edited:

crstrode

Pyrodex is not a cleanup problem

I've never had any problems cleaning after a session of shooting with Pyrodex.

I always use grease over the balls - my own mixture of beeswax and crisco. the beeswax stiffens the crisco so it does not get blown out by the first couple of shots, and it does not melt even on a hot summer day.

I have always found that Pyrodex fouling and buildup is easily removed with just a squirt of cleaner from a spray bottle in the field, and the bore comes clean with a couple of damp patches.

B.L.E.

Being labeled as Goex doesn't mean that it's black powder.
If the dealer doesn't sell black powder, then is it Goex Pinnacle powder, or the discontinued Goex Clearshot?

Goex black powder comes in red metal cans and it says "black sporting powder" on the label.

I heard that Hodgon now owns GOEX black powder. I'm not sure if they plan any changes in containers in the future.

scrat

IF he only has 1 of each. shieeeeeet dont have to tell me twice i would buy both of them. Then you just need to get something to shoot the ffg from.

brian45auto

I see no difference in velocity or increased fouling between FFG and FFFG. A chrono might show some difference but I can't tell it.

there is a difference.
same gun (italian 1873saa)
same cartridges(colt45)
same amount (35gr) of goex 2and 3f
same bullet 250gr lead

yielded 125ft/sec difference from a 5.5" barrel, even more from a 20" barrel.

the 3f loads are noticeably hotter, with the muzzle pointing well skyward following a shot.

qwik

In Transit On Time

:D:D:D:D:D 4/29 for the 5 1/2" , 8" backorder , just make the ups thrill last that much longer
Gonna get the Goex fffg wed. if it is the real deal when shop opens. Shop changed owner so new OP has some left over cans, and no interest in BP sales

No one said anything about BP in safe with goldenrod (good bad or the ugly)

Thanks for all the good inf.

Jbar4Ranch

Hawg Haggen said:
I'm sure we've disagreed on this before, but, in my experience, Pyrodex is MUCH more hygroscopic than BP or other subs. I won't even use the stuff unless it's the only thing I can lay my hands on. Fortunately, after the first three pounds I purchased several years ago, that situation has never arisen.

Hawg

JBar I'm sure we have. I don't have much choice about what I use. I live in the humid south and have gone as many as nine days after shooting pyro before cleaning.

Dingoboyx

I have shot using pyrodex

loved it.... we cant get anything but Black powder here in Oz at the moment :( I have looked high and low for goex, 777 and Pyrodex but cant find any :eek:

I just whimper and look at my empty Pyro bottle, and remember how easy it was to clean up after shooting.... Oh well.... at least I got 6 pounds of BLACK :D