Feral Hogs In Texas, redux

Series70

A while ago I posted an article about the incidence of feral hogs in urban areas of North Texas. Several members responded with their own stories, which were very enlightening to somebody who hasn't lived in Texas for some decades.

I continue to see stories like this one, and it seems apparent from this perspective that none of the Texans represented here are exaggerating this plague. This is almost unbelievable (but I believe it.) My old pal Pete lives in Austin, and asked me recently whether Texas has declared open season on this pestilence. Anybody know what the true deal is?

hogcowboy

Open Season on Hogs

You can hunt or trap hogs any time. There is no season or bag limit for wild hog hunting in Texas. Wild hog hunters can hunt wild hogs any month of the year, anytime during the day or night.

Last edited:

rickyrick

We are fast approaching the time when the hogs quit causing trouble around here....
I am suspecting that because of the unusually dry weather coupled with higher populations they may get desperate and stick around later in the summer... I have killed a few malnurished as of late.

stegar1

the state needs to ease the means restrictions and open up the season for public land. that would help.

the state needs to ease the means restrictions and open up the season for public land. that would help.

Given the lack of state-owned land, I doubt things would change very much, not that the restrictions should not be relaxed. Any help would be better than what is currently happening.

http://www.tpwd.state.tx.us/huntwild/hunt/public/lands/maps/

Some of the largest public land holdings are federal and fall under guidelines, not just state, such as the Davy Crockett National Forest.

Note that in Texas, there are approximately 171,972,219 acres, of which less than 1% (<1.2 million acres) are public land including federal lands like Davy Crockett NF.
http://www.texashuntingforum.com/fo...583/PUBLIC_HUNTING_OPPORTUNITYS_AN#Post348583