Felt recoil

Socrates

HMMMM.
600 Nitro express, 900 grain bullet, 2295 fps, 178 grains of powder, 5 pound contender=
490 ft lbs of recoil, at 79 fps.:eek:

I wouldn't call the guy a wimp, just didn't know his limitations...

S

ronc0011

Gezzz that had to hurt. It looks like it hit him I the head. In fact it looks like it came straight back and didn’t start to rotate until it hit his head.

I suspect he had no idea what to expect and probably didn’t have a very firm grip on the gun.

Still though, that was pretty funny.

Socrates

I have a pistol that recoils at 62 ft lbs of recoil. 525's at 1350fps.

I flinch with it, but, I can control it. I'd NEVER let anyone shoot it that wasn't a big bore aware person.

I don't think that video is funny. I think the guy letting him shoot the gun should pay the hospital bills, and additional damages...

S

sanson

I've always been short and lightweight. when 13 my dad handed me a 30-06..
needless to say I was not prepared for the BOOM.. he thought it was funny. hour later we both were laughing

22-rimfire

I agree with Socrates about the video and the doctor bills.

When I was in my 20's, I had a Colt Python which I thought had a fair amount of recoil at the time. I was at my parents home shooting various handguns and my youngest sister asked if she could shoot the Python. She was probably 16 at the time and should have had no problem. I told her to hold onto the revolver tightly and aim at the target and she did, but the recoil was so much to her that the gun came way back and she almost dropped it. A lot of people are suprised just how little it takes to touch off a Colt DA in single action. After that experience, I never let an inexperienced young person shoot a larger bore handgun that I own. The situation is too unpredictable without some experience on their part.

Socrates

REALLY DEPENDS ON THE RIFLE.
I wouldn't give anyone a 450 or 500 Nitro Express, and say shoot it, unless they had tried something like a .375 H&H First.

I've never shot anything that recoils over 80 ft pounds.

Perfect gun I saw for bears was a .500 A2 Ruger #1. At 7 pounds, it recoiled near 220 ft pounds, with 600 grain bullets, at near 2400 fps. Shoot the bear. If you miss, at least your not awake afterwards...

S