Fell in love with an unusual suspect....

HKFan9

So had a customer come in to sell a gun today... we bought it... and I started to be more and more intrigued by it....

I carry a .45 1911... or a 9mm at times... AND I am someone who considers .380 an unworthy carry caliber.

The gun in question... a Colt 1903 Type III .32 Auto. Beautiful bluing.. the lines are nice, craftsmanship is from a time when things were done right, the frame and slide rails seem to just blend into each other near perfectly. The feel in my hands.. the balance.. the weight.... it felt just right... but its only a .32 AUTO!:(

I have honestly no such need for the gun, but I loved it. I will admit I am not as well versed in the older handguns as I should be.

I felt that if the gun was .380 I could sometimes justify it to myself to carry it. My question is, is the 1908 that comes in .380 the same size and feel?

Unfortunately I know some of you will just tell me to go ahead and buy the .32 Auto... and not worry over it... unfortunately I spend all day deciding.. and a customer came and purchased it.:rolleyes:

KyJim

After you take care of your handgun "needs," then it makes sense to buy a gun because you simply like something about it. After all, how many carry handguns do you really need? Three maybe?

Asgardnz

I have owned both, only recently trading the 1908 with a friend as it had WWI history(carried by a cavalryman as a private purchase).

I bought the 1908 unseen at auction as a 1903, as the gun auction company did not notice the difference.

I only noticed the difference when I looked at the muzzle and thought the hole is too big for a .32.

The 1908 is rarer and I think more desirable.

I have trouble operating the grip safety as I don't have much meat in the web of my hand. If I don't force my hand around the grip it wont fire. That would be my concern as a carry gun more than power levels.

Shadi Khalil

After you take care of your handgun "needs," then it makes sense to buy a gun because you simply like something about it. After all, how many carry handguns do you really need? Three maybe?

Exactly the point I've reached in my gun shooting life. I have everything I need now it's time for the wants. Not everything has to be something that will meet all your defensive requirements. If thats how everyone worked you'd probably out of a job.

lamarw

The caveat here is I am not an expert, but I do read an adequate amount about guns. Most of the expert say not to shoot the old M1911's and even the
M1911A1's because to their age and metal fatique. The experts also mention the difference in the metal technology of the older guns and modern guns.

If they are in fact correct, I would have to wonder if the same might not be true with the gun we are discussing here. Is it in fact safe to shoot both for the person shooting it and/or damage to the gun itself.

My view is like another poster mentioned to buy the gun for the simple beauty of it and the joy it brings to your heart from having it as your very own.

TxFlyFish

One of the most beautiful colts, folks usually talk about the 1911 or python. This is the stuff! Should be in every colt collection

Nakanokalronin

I really like the 1903. I feel it was one of the first well executed carry pistols of its time.

Original blued finish. Made in 1931. It came with the original box although it was a bit beat up.
scaled.php

Older picture I took
l_a3e3f60af6024d3f9fc7f83779e31e94.jpg

The finish looks a lot different in different light settings. In person its a little lighter than the bottom photo but just as shiny and reflective as the top photo.

If you do get one and find mags hard to find, check out Numrich. I bought quite a few mags from them with no issues of any kind. I'm glad they work perfectly since it allows my original mag to stay mint in the safe. If you've checked out current prices for original 1903 mags you'd understand.

Check out this site for more info: http://www.guncollectorsclub.com/1903.htm

Check out this site if you do pick one up and want to know the date it was manufactured: http://www.proofhouse.com/

Last edited:

Andy Taylor

I know this doesn't answer your question, but if you want one, in a more substacial caliber, why not take a look at the Kimber Solo? It is essentially a modern 1903/1908 in 9mm. And you won't have to worry about the metalurgy of a 100 year old gun.

AustinTX

Well said. Once you have your defensive needs met, why agonize over whether a gun is suitable for carry, home defense, or some other practical end? Aesthetics, craftsmanship, history, rareness, and weirdness can all be perfectly valid reasons for buying a gun.

Only two of my handguns get carried, and only four or five others are looked at as potential HD guns. The rest are just for fun. The mint Mauser HSc I picked up last month shoots .380 ACP, has terrible sights, and naturally points about 15 or 20 degrees to the right in my large hand. It's also heavier than my Walther PPS and would be harder to conceal. I don't care. It's not for carrying, home defense, or anything other than range fun and aesthetic enjoyment. It's well-made, the polished bluing is beautiful, and I love its lines.

scottl

Most of the expert say not to shoot the old M1911's and even the
M1911A1's because to their age and metal fatique.
With the 1911's the slides didn't get a good heat treatment.They can take a beating with modern loads.
The A1's are ok to shoot.If something happens to break on an expensive WWII Colt A1 it can be fixed but you've killed any value.

sgms

It's a classic piece you don't need to justify owning one as a carry gun. If you have to have a justification to by such a pistol call it an investment. Lets face it properly cared for it will be worth more in a couple of years than the same amount of money in the bank or market, and you get to handle it and admire the quality workmanship involved in it's crafting.:)

HKFan9

I know this doesn't answer your question, but if you want one, in a more substacial caliber, why not take a look at the Kimber Solo? It is essentially a modern 1903/1908 in 9mm. And you won't have to worry about the metalurgy of a 100 year old gun.

I respect your opinion.. but I have shot and sold.. and sent back enough Solo's that our shop just stopped ordering them.

The 1903 felt like an old worn baseball glove... I have yet to find any modern firearm that felt half as nice in the hand... my P7 may be close.. but the 1903 felt awesome.

I just bought a new 6.8 SPC bolt gun... so I got some time before I have the cash to spend to hunt around for a 1903 or 1908.:)

RKG

1) You should buy the 1903, just because.

2) The 1908 is dimensionally indistinguishable from the 1903. In fact, many of the parts are interchangeable.

3) There is one issue with Model Ms that you should be aware of. The firing pin is in two parts, and the forward part has a firing pin spring associated with it. I have seen these springs so fossilized that, when the hammer is dropped on an empty chamber, the forward firing pin becomes jammed in the firing pin hole in the breech face. If not detected and later the slide is dropped on a loaded magazine, you'll get an out-of-battery fire (essentially changing the gun into one that fires from an open bolt position, but without time to lock up first).

Replacement firing pin springs are available, and I would always replace the firing pin spring on any newly acquired Model M. The job is fairly simple so long as you have the right tools for drifting out a pin without marring the slide.

Sid

Buy the 1903. It is a classic firearm in every sense of the word. This is the piece that was issued to General officers in World War II. It is beautifully made, built like a tank and surprisingly accurate. I have one and have fired endless thousands of my handloads through it without any problem. The only difficulty you will encounter is finding original magazines. The replacement mags that I have seen do not fit or work. One final and important point. This was Humphrey Bogart's favorite pistol in The Maltese Falcon and many other movies. What better recommendation than this?